My newborn is a couple days old. My doc said not to take him outside at all, not even to the store. When can i start to take him out with us, on walks, to the park, to the store etc? 1 month old? 2months?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why did he advise you not to take the baby out? Was it the cold weather? (Not sure where you live or what the climate is.) Was it flu season and germy people? Some people feel they need to wait until a child is about 6 weeks old or for their first round of vaccinations or something like that. My kids were born in June and September. They were both out within a day of being out of the hospital. We dressed them appropriately and we limited their exposure to germy large crowds until they were a little older.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I started going out with my baby at around one week, though she was born at the end of august.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• with my first i waited about 4 weeks (id DID go out before 4 wks but not often at all)
    2nd was about 2 wks old
    3rd was about 3 wks (just getting used to juggling the kids and all)
    this last one was about 1 wk...

WHENEVER YOU feel you can handle it :) ...... i wouldn't let just anyone touch baby is all
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• my son was born the day after thanksgiving and he was at the mall christmas shopping not 2 weeks later... IDK, I lived my life just like I always had, I refused to hole up in my house
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Well my daughter was born Nov 21st of last year and I live in Chicago which is cold, I took her out to the store when she was 5 days old and then again at 6 days old to my cousins house for Thanksgiving. Why did your Doctor recommend not taking your baby out?

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I would get a new doctor, but that is just my opinion. I just had a baby end of July & took her out the same day we left hospital. we also went out about every other day.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Doc's are telling you that now because its flu season and they cant vaccinate newborns. I would wait till about 1-2 weeks old. I remember with my 1st I had to take him to a clinic when he was just 4 days old b/c of he was jaundice. You should have seen me... I was sooo paranoid. Making everyone who went in for a touch to touch his feet and I had him nuzzled in my neck. lol

beka03

Answer by beka03 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• If your baby is healthy there is no reason I can think of, other than the weather, that you can't go out with him, at least for short periods of time. Ask your doctor why he said this.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I took my baby to wal mart on the way home from the hospital! I HAD to..we had no diapers yet! She came 10 days early. Thought I still had time to make that diaper run before she arrived. lol
    Anonymous

• We had to go shopping on the way home from the hospital both times, lol. There is really no need not to take the kid out. Just keep people from touching. And FTR, my youngest was born in Jan.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2009