Does lack of proof=proof?

I hear many people say that because people don't have "proof" or evidence of God NOT existing leads them to believe that he DOES exist. Does not having evidence (although I think there is evidence all over the place that he doesn't exist) equal proof that he DOES?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have seen evidence of existence imo that cancels out all evidence of his non existence.
    Anonymous

• The logic doesn't totally work for me. That is like saying that if I were falsely arrested for something and could not provide proof I didn't commit a crime, then it is to be accepted that I DID do it. Glad our legal system doesn't use this logic!
    Anonymous

• You cannot prove a negative. Asking someone to prove a negative is an error in logic on the part of the person doing the asking. The argument itself is irrelevant because it's not logical.

However, it is equally a logical error to ask someone to prove something in which they have faith. By their very definitions, faith and proof are mutually exclusive. You cannot have faith in something you have proof of, and you cannot prove something that is a matter of faith. To ask someone to prove something they have already stated is a matter of faith, makes you the ignorant party for not knowing the definitions of the two concepts.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I think it kinda cancels each other out and makes it a personally decision.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• faith needs no proof
    Anonymous

• Good answer NP-thank you for that!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Isn't faith just another word for "doubt"?
    sahmamax2

not to me
    Anonymous

• although I think there is evidence all over the place that he doesn't exist

like wot?
    Anonymous

• Main Entry: 1faith
    Pronunciation: \ˈfāth\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural faiths \ˈfāths, sometimes ˈfāthz\
    Etymology: Middle English feith, from Anglo-French feid, fei, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust — more at bide
    Date: 13th century
    1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
    2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
    3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs

synonyms see belief

— on faith : without question
    Anonymous