at what age do kids start

using a booster seat? or is it by weight?

emilia27

Asked by emilia27 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I put my son in his booster when he started standing up in his highchair I think he was 18 months old. He is tiny so I sure hope it doesn't go by weight.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• it depends on what state your in heres the chart link

http://www.earlyinterventionsupport.com/parentingtips/safety/carseatbystate.aspx
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 2:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• check your state laws, most states have a minimum of 40 lbs AND 4 years old, though it is safer to keep them in a 5 point harness as long as possible. How old/big is your child?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Booster seat by the table instead of high chair, or booster seat in the car instead of 5pt harness? By the table, they were all between 15-21 months, give or take a month or two. Booster in the car, mine were at least 4-5 years.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 3 and weighs 29 lbs. She is still in a harness I dont plan on putting her in a booster anytime soon. The harness is much safer so she will stay in that until she outgrows it.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• It is by state, and it is by weight and age.
    Go to your state government's website and look up carseat laws.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Booster in the car then not until they outgrow the maximum height or weight on a 5 point harness IMO no matter what the state minimum is (usually well below the car seat maximum). Booster at the table then whenever you want to. Both mine were about 15-18 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• most places it is a bare minimum of 4 years AND 40 pounds. reccomendations are to keep your child harnessed to the limits of the carseat.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:07 AM on Jan. 1, 2010