Is your faith in God an emotional crutch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes. It's not all it is by a long chalk but without my faith I would find it hard to cope with how the world is. My strong Bible based faith gives me hope, contentment and explanation. I do use it as a 'crutch', yes.

JES (jw)
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 2:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• aren't a lot of things considered emotional crutches? whether its your partnership, your friendships, or your faith. a crutch, of any origination, is not a bad thing.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 2:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• it's better than alcohol and sex being my crutch.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 3:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• oh heck yes and thank God I have him there to help me during troubled and emotional times. I also have him there when times are not too troubled and emotional.
    Anonymous

• 08 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 by: Hali_Tayl it's better than alcohol and sex being my crutch.

agreed! As a person who has watched and fought addiction I turn to God as my crutch and not other things that could be harmful to my family. with the help of God I can make wise choices. God is my crutch, he is my light and my salvation.

Praise to HIM the King of glory!
    Anonymous

• I think for some it is. Ive seen it many, many times.

However, I dont think it is for everyone. I know its not for me or my husband(of course we arent members of a christian or abrahamic faith so I dont know if this question is specific to any who believe in a higher power or just that group).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I dont mean to come off all peppy....I dont think I have had an real serious opportunity to use God as a crutch yet. Maybe one time and I was impatient. There is one weakness that I know I may faulter in the future and I have prayed about it. I have "Pre-prayed".....lol bad joke.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I don't think so, no.
    It may be for some, but I don't believe it is for me, and I don't believe that faith is merely a crutch - I believe there is value and beauty to be found in faith - at least, most faith...
    :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• lol, I didn't mean that to come out as arrogant as it sounds... By most faith I mean the faith that fosters beauty and love instead of ugliness and hatred. I certainly wasn't trying to imply that one BRAND of faith (for example one RELIGION) is better than another, if you get what I mean.
    :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010