Am I being unreasonable?

My husband and I both have cell phones, but we don't get a good signal in the house. Half the time, scratch that 8 out of 10 phone calls, we lose the signal. We also have a MagicJack, which works great, EXCEPT that the computer it's plugged in to is CONSTANTLY updating which turns off the magicJack. So I can never make an EFFING phone call. My friend had a baby this morning and couldn't reach me and it just really upset me. Well, I said ENOUGH is ENOUGH and that I'm calling Verizon and getting a landline. Well, our DSL is through a dry loop and is using our only existing phone line, so we have to change the internet. My husband more or less said no. The other day, my daughter hid my cell phone and the computer with the magicjack was frozen, so I was without a phone for hours. I don't chat for long on the phone, but I need to have access to a phone at all times. I got so mad that I actually cried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't think of going without a land line. I think it's a smart thing to have and you have proven why!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• No i dont think you are. Do you have comcast? You can get internet, phone and cable for $99 a month through them.
    Anonymous

• Just get better cell phones that has good reception in the house. I think that if you have cell phones it's pointless to have a landline. If the power goes out the landline doesn't work, but the cell phones do. Plus, having the cell phone bill AND the landline bill is a waste of money. Just get better coverage for your home.

I can tell you from experience that having your land line through a cable line isn't all they make it out to be. If you're downloading a large file your landline will cut out, won't recieve calls properly, etc. Also, if the cable is down or slow that day your landline will not work properly. It will act just as the internet is acting that day. It's not that great if you really get down to it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• We use the local phone company. There is no problem. The broadband and tv are a different company. I want the land line for the 911 service especially.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I dunno-we have no land line but our cells work great in the house...As far as loosing your phone in the house. IF it had reception www.whersmycellphone.com is awesome! It makes your phone ring so you can find it. I use it weekly. No joke.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• We have nice cell phones, but I guess it's the coverage area. Since we've been here, we've had both Sprint and AT&T and get terrible coverage. I remember when we were doing the inspection for this house, our realtor couldn't get a signal and she had T-Mobile. I guess our walls are made of titanium or something, because no ones cell phones work well once they walk in this house.
    Anonymous

• FYI Jazz--Landlines still work if the power goes out. Only cordless phones stop working when the power goes out. A regular phone plugged into the wall works just fine when the power is out.
    Anonymous

• Get a landline , it's more dependable. Go with Verizon
    Anonymous

• One thing you can try to do (I had to do this b/c I couldn't get reception in the house!!) Get ahold of a service person for your phone company and tell them that you can't get reception in the house. We had Verizon, and they had me call a special number and it did some kind of an update for my phone. I had no problem after that. Simple fix, no more headache, and best of all, it was FREE!!! I don't know if this will help you, but it is worth a try! Good luck!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• try vonage. phone through your dsl.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 4:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2010