Has anyone used this on an airplane?

We will be going to Colorado next summer and flying for the first time with kids. J will be 5 and D will have just turned 3. I was wondering if anyone has used this product to fly with and if so, was it worth the $$. Pros & cons please. Have a great New Year!!! Also known as CARES.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

my2turkeys

Asked by my2turkeys at 2:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Travel

• I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here, but having a five point harness on an airplane is pointless. It isn't going to save them if you crash, and when you take off and land the seatbelt should do just fine. I think it would be a waste of your money.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• it is not pointless. While your point about a crash is true, you did not mention turbulance.

I have never used one... how old is your child? Are you taking a car seat with you on your trip?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• It really has nothing to do with saving them if you crash. I understand that. My seatbelt would probably not save me if we crashed either. Gee thanks for pointing out the worst part of flying. Turbulance is the main issues as well as keeping them comfortable in their seats for 6 plus hours. If they use a carseat in the car, yes it makes sense to use one on the plane but to carry 2 carseats along w/2 kids does not sound like fun. I would either check the seats or borrow from my brother when we get to CO.
    my2turkeys

Answer by my2turkeys at 3:23 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• my best advice is to NEVER check a car seat.... think of how bad your luggage looks when it comes out... no imagine that damage on the think that protects your child in the car.

The best thing to do is gate check them, or if they are FAA approved take them on the plane since your kids have to have their own seats anyways
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I was very unsure about checking them b/c i thought about what happens to luggage. But what is gate check?
    my2turkeys

Answer by my2turkeys at 3:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• you can carry them up to the gate with you and they will get hand placed in a seperate cargo hold and will be waiting for you when you get off the plane
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• :) Sounds like that might be the way to go. THANKS!
    my2turkeys

Answer by my2turkeys at 3:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't bother with the harness. The seat belt was always fine for my kids. The only problem with gate checking the car seats is you would have to lug them around the airport. Sounds like too much work for me, especially if you have to hold little ones hands. If you can borrow seats when you get there, that would be great.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I used one for my one year old son and he was a little short for it but overall it was FANTASTIC! So much easier than taking a car seat and takes 2 seconds to set up. The only other problem i could see with it was it didnt have a strap that went in between the legs so he tended to slip down a little but a dont see it being as big of a deal with an older child. If you plan on flying alot with your children i would say its a good investment however if its just a once off thing i would look at trying to hire one rather than buying one as they are kinda pricey. If you have any other questions just let me know and ill try help you as much as poss. Good Luck flying!

Oh and as for the person who said there is no point in harnessing a child on a plane that is just plain stupid!
    Aussiemum85

Answer by Aussiemum85 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Oh and i used it for three seperate flight totally nearly 23 hours and never once had an issue with airlines, most of the crew knew what it was and loved that i was using that rather than a carseat =)
    Aussiemum85

Answer by Aussiemum85 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2010