Why does going to church prove you're a good person and you believe in god?

And why do I have to prove to other people that I do? Why should I pray just like other people just to be accepted by God? I think God would accept me the way I am. That's how he made me isn't it?

I'm just constantly conflicted with going to church. My mom tries to make me because she's afraid of me losing my faith. I haven't lost my faith in God I've just lost my faith in humanity. I can't really trust what some pastor says anymore.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 3:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• why do you feel you have to prove to others?

going to church is a way for me to connect with God. I don't hide the fact I go to church, but it has nothing to do with others. I go to church to remind me of the big picture. Going to church only makes me a good person for about an hour a week because if I am in church I am not doing much bad. My actions and words are what makes me a bad or good person. I don't go to church to prove anything. I do it for myself.
    Anonymous

• Going to church doesn't prove anything, at all. In fact, I know more hypocrites who go to church every week, than not.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Attendance doesn't prove anything not to mention the Bible says the demons of Hell believe in God. So believing in God isn't the issue. Believing in Jesus as Savior is what's important.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Attending church proves nothing, you could be a murder, adultress & molster & sit in church 24/7. The way you live your life makes a good person.
    Anonymous

• Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car. I had the misfortune of working with one of the most unpleasant (and hypocritical) laypastors on the planet at my last job. She'd turn a particularly amusing shade of purple any time I said that in her presence ;)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I think its good that you are aware that you are not satisfied with some churches/pastors.....2 Tim 3:2-5
    A personal relationship with God is important. Jesus went to "temple" and preached the truth about God.
    Take a peek at Heb 10:24, 25.
    My sweet mama is onto me sometimes too! I know why, Im a mama too. lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• ever heard of the BTK killer? he was a devoted christian that went to church every week and helped the community out greatly...i wouldn't call him a good person, but i guess from other peoples prospective he was a "good"christian, till of course they found out he was a serial killer lol

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• It doesn't
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• It's apparently all you need to do in SC. Doesn't matter what crimes you commit during the week as long as you are in that pew every Sunday with your "whoops, sorry, god, my bad" on your lips. All things are expected to be excused or overlooked if you can say "I go to church every week so I am a good christian."

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Its not going to church that determines your faith. It is what you do for God that does.
    The reason for churches is to not forsake the assembly of believers. We need to be there for each other.
    Look at it this way. An eye outside of the eyesocket cannot survive without other parts of the body such as the nerves the muscles and blood vessels. A heart cannot survive on its own if outside the body. It needs other organs to help it along. Same with the church, we cannot survive on our own just with God without fellowship with other believers. Why, in a healthy church they pour into you love, mercy and grace. Words of life and more. We are not to take what the Pastors say and just believe it, We are to go to the word make sure it matches with what he says. I understand not trusting Pastors but that is a healing process, one I have been in for the last 2 yrs and now attend an amazing church with a pastor that is a blessing!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2009