What is the difference between clothing size boys 4 or 4t?

My son is quickly outgrowing his 3t clothing and I am starting to buy a size four. But now I wonder, do I go with the 4t or go to the next section in the store and go for the boys size 4. What is the difference?

lmk5781

Asked by lmk5781 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• boys size 4 is a little bigger than 4t. Kind of like how 2t was a little bit bigger than 24mths.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:47 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• i was told that the t meant that it had a little extra room for diapers. bc some kids aren't potty trained and other's are.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• i thought 2t & 24mos were the same. i checked the height and weight measurements & held them to each other back to back. i'll google the 4 vs. 4t for you because i haven't checked that out yet.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• I think they are the same.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Just like 24 months and 2T the 2T is a little longer and for my child what is what I needed. He is tall and skinny. 4 is a little longer and skinnier then 4T from what I understand and have found with most brands.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• size 4 is actually 2 sizes large than a 4t. T is toddler and size 4 boys is the smallest in boys clothes. It runs 4T, 5T than starts boys sizes. Not being smart I work retail.
    Anonymous

• 4s are usually a little longer then a 4T and a 4T usually has a little more room in the seat to account for diapers. My son wore both (he was like 2 1/2 at the time).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:12 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• 4 is a slimmer fit than 4T because the T size has room for a diaper. They tend to be slightly longer too. My son finally moved out of his 3Ts and in to 4s a couple of weeks ago. If your son is still in diapers or on the husky side then you might go for the 4T but if he's slim the 4 would probably be a better fit. My guy is wicked skinny so I'm very glad that he's now out of T sizes and his pants finally stay up!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:15 AM on Jan. 1, 2010