How to deal with a situation where you (down to the bone) HATE them!

My sister n law, (my husband's brother's wife). I have no idea why she hates me. We used to get along at first, then she started making bad remarks behind my back. Even though I ignored her, but now she just tries to ignore me whenever she wants and befriend me whenever she wants. I got really sick of it, so I just shut her out all together, because she's always moody and just gives me the cold shoulder whenever. It isn't me, my other sister n laws say she does this alot to them too. But me in particular. I never did anything to her, So lately I just don't even say hello, She isn't better than me, why should I respect her when she doesn't respect me at all. How do I handle this situation. Its very awkward when the family gets together which is at least 1x a week. I really tried to like her.

fefe87

Asked by fefe87 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• Don't stoop to her level, just say hello and leave it at that. Always be kind and you can be sure that this is her problem and not yours.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 4:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Say Hello, be nice and then leave her alone. If she chooses to speak to you answer nicely. I wouldn't discuss anything with her or start any conversation. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Maybe she feels you don't like her.
    Anonymous

• It's obviously her issue not your's but it seems like you are allowing her to make it your's. Just be you. Ignore her bad behavior and praise her good behavior like you would a child. I'm a big one on every time someone says something negative we should say something positive in return. If nothing else it confuses them! lol When she says something negative just tell her you love her then walk away. She'll catch on and stop her nonsense...unless she really wants to hear that someone loves her. My mom used to say "Kill them with kindness". It drives them nuts!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I'm with the others.. be nice regardless
    Doesn't mean you have to call her and invite her to lunch.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2009