Question about WIC checks

I'm in CA. I will ask at my appt. on Tues., but though maybe someone here might know: do you have to buy all the items on the new WIC checks? (I don't receive formula or baby items, I get EBF mother and child checks...and I know on the formula and baby cereal checks it says you have to buy the full amount)

They have changed the checks so that milk is on every one, except the fruit and veggie checks. So if I need to get tortillas and cereal but not milk, is it possible to just not get the milk? Thanks for the helpful responses in advance:)

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 4:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• You can skip out on getting certain things from your WIC coupons. I do it sometimes.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Yes you can. I can't get through all of the milk they give either, so that's usually the one I skip too. They'll usually just remind you at the checkout that you can get the milk, but I just say no thanks.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• cool thanx!
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 4:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• You can skip it or get it and donate it to a food bank.
    Anonymous

• The easiest thing about WIC are the Mother's stores, you stand there and they get you everything you want from your checks and carry it out for you. Whatever you don't want don't get but you can't get it later. So if you get cereal and wheat bread and leave the milk then that's it.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 4:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I do....but if there is something on it that I don't need....like if I already have milk....I'll still get the milk, and give it to my brother or something....someone else could use it, ya know?
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• We have a store that is just for WIC in town, but it doesn't offer much of a selection.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 4:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• depends on your state. we had a big debate in one of my groups about this...some states say you have to get it all some let you slide and only get what you need.
    Anonymous

• In MI, if you don't use everything you get for that month it does not cross over into the next month. You will lose the month's benefits when you switch to the next month. That's why DH and I try to use everything for that month, so we are not wasting our benefits.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Yeah you dont have to get everything on the checks, the lady that works in the WIC office here told me not to get things we dont need because they dont want them to go to waste! Good Luck! :)
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 8:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2009