Home Health Aids ??

I have been thinking of different jobs I would like to have...I know that after my youngest is in school I will go to cosmetology school and work in my aunts salon... but for now...I just really kind of want to get out there and do something a few days a week...my aunt is one and she says she loves it, but doesnt ever really tell me why or what exactly she does....

poop and puke doesnt really bother me...and I like old people...I am patient and kind and I just think it would be nice to sit and talk to them about their lives and also know I am helping...not to mention I would have a paycheck ! ( ive never had a job before) ,but what else do you think it would take ? If you are one, what do you do ?

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 5:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am one. I help keep the house or apartment clean, cook meals, remind them about medication, help with normal living activities like showers and such. The care is different for each person. As everyone needs different care. Sometimes I also fill in at nursing homes. I love it some weeks I work an hour some I do 40 it all depends on what is needed and what I have time to do. My company never makes me feel bad for turning down work. So I work when I have family to watch the kids. It saves me a lot of money being able to flex hours like that. To be an Aid you have to get your CNA licence which is normally a 2 week class and than a state exam. You can do the keeper part though for those that just need light house work with out the licence.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I really enjoyed being a Home Health Aide. The only thing that drove me crazy was all the driving around. You might want to look into an assisted living where all the patients can be in one spot.
    MissMorgan07

Answer by MissMorgan07 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I did home health for almost 9 months and I was bored to tears. I spent $600 for STNA classes and ended up being a glorified housekeeper and was treated as such by some clients so I dropped them. I had some wonderful clients but I also had some HORRIBLE clients. The horrible ones DID NOT keep house and it smelled like cat piss and rotting food (this past summer I cleaned out a fridge that had food that had expired in 2004 in it and the lady got mad at me for throwing away her food). It is easier to handle the crazies when they are in a nursing home environment and that is what I am doing now while I am in school to be a nurse. While the hours were flexible, it seems pointless to drive 20 minutes to someones house for only an hour (especially with the pay you get) and with gas prices higher it almost cancelled out what I made (especially when gas was $4 a gallon). It all depends on what you are looking for in a job.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I like my clients to be in a "contained" clean area where I only drive to one place for work and get better pay for it. That is why I went back to the nursing home I worked for prior to my working home health.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I did that line of work up in Maine for the Visting Nurse Service. My job title was Personal Care Attendant (PCA), which is the same thing, and I really loved the work. I pretty much made my own hours, selected my own clients, and got to help some of the RN's that visited the clients while I was there. I became fascinated with the medical field through this job and advanced further in it.
    Sure, you have tough clients and great clients, but if you were to work retail or in a nursing home, you would have the same thing to deal with. You need to have 'people' skills and just learn to block out some of the strange things you may hear.
    I found it to be a rewarding job that was very convenient for me to work while my children were in school and while I attended college full time. Some clients even asked for me after I left the company and I helped them out now and then until I moved on.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2010