If She is trying to eat my food does that mean she is ready to start baby food?

When I sit down to eat something and I have her in my arms and she reaches out to grab my spoon (or whatever I am eatting) Does that mean she is ready to eat Baby food?

kaylamjackson87

Asked by kaylamjackson87 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Food & Drink

• How old is she??
    Mandy211

Answer by Mandy211 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• How old is she? Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts Two great books / websites, with differing philosophies, are Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Have you started the rice cereal? That's a start but it depends on how old she is. My family hounded me so bad for not putting cereal in my sons bottle because he wouldn't sleep for long when clearly my Dr. told me not to. I wasn't comfortable giving him more than breast milk so I didn't. I think at by about 5-6 months my son skipped over the cereal and went to prunes and apples, never liked applesauce so try a few things to see what works best for her but once you find one she likes stay there for a little while to check for allergies and so she doesn't become extra picky.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 5:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• simple answer... no, it just means she's curious. before 1 yr old eating solids is just to experience taste and texture, not necessarily for nutrition. I wouyld not give solids until AFTER 6 months, my baby is sitting up on his.her own, does not "lick'the spoon or suck on it, and is not spitting up the food either. My kids actually weren't ready uintil around 11 nonths, and we sent straight for table foods, not jars etc.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• It's mostly curiosity. If she's over four months she can start pureed food. If she's over six months she can start table food.
    You can test it out with her, but it's mostly just curiosity.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• If she's under 6 months no. It's like saying because my kid was interested in cat poop she should eat it (she did but it's not like it's good for her) haha. Kids are just curious and they use their mouth to explore.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2010