Flat Head

My fiance's cousin had a child who is 3 months. Her head in the back is completely flat, not just a spot the whole thing. Is there a reason fir this. My daughter lost some hair buut it isn't flat at all. Was curious if this happens a lot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The baby's skull bones are soft and if they sleep in one position they get a flat head. You're supposed to turn the child's head when they sleep to even out the flat side. Sometimes kids end up wearing a helmet.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• they also may have the baby in an infant seat too much.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• It's from having the baby's head up against something too long (laying flat in the crib, being in the car seat for extended periods of time, etc). They have helmets that you can get through your doctor to shape the head back since the bone is still soft, but the best thing is to just not let the baby be idle for so long on a flat surface (I think that's borderline neglect in my opinion).
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• some kids heads are flat when the baby sees the Dr they will see it and lead the mom down the right path....My sons was and i gave him tummy time moved his head it wasnt NEGLECT
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 7:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• neglect? REALLY? Wow. My DD had full control of her head at birth and I did everything in my power to keep her from laying with her head to the right but she'd always end up like that and she got a flat spot. I talked to her doctor and he said not to worry about it, when she started rolling over it would round back out. And it did. Neglect, my foot!
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Do not listen to the neglect comment. It happens to a lot of babies. My daughter had positional plagiocephaly which is flat head. She had torticollis (crooked neck) and was unable to move her head therefore developed a flat spot on the back/side of her head. Tummy time was out of the question with her...she hated it. A lot of babies with torticollis do not like tummy time cause IT HURTS. It was not neglect, she just could not move her head. The physical therapist that worked on her neck told us not to worry about the head because when they start becoming mobile such as rolling or crawling it will take pressure off the back of her head and round back out. She also told us at her 6 month doctor visit the doctor will address the head decide if further action needs to be taken. Guess what, my daughter's head rounded out very nicely and she is 10 months old. Yes some cases are from neglect but a lot are not. I am not a neglectful
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• continued...
    parent but my daughter ended up with it. It happens. Those bones are so soft. The only time my baby was out of my arms was when she was sleeping (and I was trying to get some sleep then too).
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• It happens when the baby isn't picked up enough and stays in the same position for sleeping and while in a car seat, bouncy seat and swing. They need to do more tummy time and hold the baby more and the head should round out again. If they don't correct it now then the baby may need to wear a helmet to reshape the head.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My son is now a little over 3 months old, he also has a flat spot. He will only turn his head to the right when laying/sitting down. I prop a blanket on the side of his head to make him turn the other way. Of course I only suggest doing that while their awake. It isn't helping yet, but hopfully it will soon. I agree the neglect remake was uncalled for! I do everything in my power to get my son to lay the other way, I even hold him quite often!! Like all of your comments ladies. Happy New Year!!
    TiaGrin

Answer by TiaGrin at 4:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My daughter was a preemie and when she was born the doctor and nurses made me watch a video that was about SIDS, im sure everyone here knows what Sids is correct? well it tends to happen more when you put the baby on thier belly to sleep, babies should be on thier backs when the sleep, and since the back to sleep campaign SIDS has dropped majorly! So putting the baby to sleep on thier back will more then likely cause flat head. And when they get a lil older the babies head becomes stronger and trust me the flat spot will get better, I dont think its neglect at all, but please do pick up the baby to help with the pressure on the back of the head as much as possible, but when baby is asleep [which babies sleep alot] put them on thier backs at all times.
    Anonymous