Can you get sick from nicorete gum if you got the wrong strength?

I'm trying to quit smoking and I got 4mg cause i usually smoke about a pack a day and i really want to quit without becoming a major bytch, can i get sick to my stomach from that?

Asked by GothicMama at 6:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Health

• Yes, you can. Sometimes it doesn't matter the strength of the gum. It can be hard on the system in that form. You figure when you smoke you not only get nitotine you get all kinds of other things. So your body reacts diferently. I suggest talk to you doctor about other alternatives. Also if other than the sick stomach, the gum works for you; try drinking some herbal tea for your upset stomach. It works for me. I hope this helps.

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 6:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Yep, its sorta like an overdose but all you do is get nauseated. I actually couldn't do the gum, the lowest strength was too strong for me and I was a pack a day smoker. Weird huh? Honestly pretzels is what got me to quit.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 6:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I used the Commit lozenges when I quit smoking. I didn't have any problems with them.

I have been smoke free since 09/01/2005.

Answer by kaseysmommy1003 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Yes you definitely can get sick from choosing the wrong dosage. I used to work for the NY State Smoker's quitline (Which I heard is the only state that gives out free gum, patches and lozenges) maybe you should just try the 2mg gum. Also, if your not chewing the gum right you can also get sick. It says that you shouldn't actually chew it but to hold the gum on one side of your mouth until you get a tingly sensation and then switch to the other side of your mouth. It's very important that you read and follow the directions when using the gum, lozenges or patches. Not all these medications are good for everyone. It depends on the individual's body. Also, if your having crazy dreams at night you might not want to chew the gum or use lozenges or patches at least an hour or so before you go to sleep.

Answer by Sexymom75 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2008