Soup Question

I bought a Crab Chowder from Costco but it's really thin. What can I put in it to thicken it up a bit? Thanks!!

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I've never done it for chowder but I do make stew. I use flour or cornstarch as a thickening agent for things. Heat up the chowder on the stove. Put a few tablespoons of flour or cornstarch in a bowl and mix in just enough water that you can make it smooth and are able to pour it into what you have on the stove then slowly add it to the soup/chowder. Stir it regularly while whats in the pot thickens. If after a few minutes its still runny, repeat the steps until you get it where you want it.
    Be careful though because too much of either thing may change the flavor. Taste it as you go. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My sister likes to add corn, she don't eat her chowder any other way
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• cornstach is good for thickening clear things. add a bit of liquide and it is called a slurry
    Flour is best for other thickenings either in a roux with a fat or with a liquid. you can also use WONDRA flour straight out of the can into hot liquids. either way you need to bring it to a boil for the starch to do it's work. I would use one of the flour types for crab chowder.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2010