A friend brought up an interesting point, and it made me examine my opinions on certain things. What do you think?

Okay so for the third time in my daughter's 10 and a half years she has cut her hair. Badly. Her hair takes literally two years to grow out (and if you have any advice, let me know, at this point I am thinking maybe getting her extensions!) So I was lamenting this on Facebook. When my friend pointed wrote, what are you going to do if she colors it. Answer, I don't have an issue with that. Then she wrote, well what are you going to do when she wants piercings and tatoos. This kind of took me off guard. My DD does not have pierced ears now and when its mentioned she freaks out and holds her ears. As for a tatoo, I don't think I'd mind too much (depends on what she wants) and where she goes to have it done. I think I would be willing to talk about that about age 16. Like a butterfly, dolphin, wolf (her fav) or something. That would be fine, and that is what surprised me, my reaction to being fine with that. (c0nt.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes. But I am the opposite. I am much more strict with my kids than i ever thought I would be. I did get my first tattoo at 16. Actually it was my 16th birthday present from my parents. It is a blue rose on my hand and I have never regretted it for a minute. But my 13 year old keeps bugging to get her lip pierced and I just don't like the idea of it. I let her get her nose peirced as I have mine done also. But I just don't like the idea of the lip. Hair though I have no problem with. It grows back. Maybe slow in your daughter case but it is not a permanant thing.
    CheyanneW

Answer by CheyanneW at 8:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I never would have thought I was that laid back of a parent. I am one of those goody two shoes kind of girls. But then my mom never had a problem with the things I wanted to do in High school and so I honestly never felt the need to "rebel". So maybe that's where it comes from. Has any parenting issue, surprised you, by where you stand on it?
    Anonymous

• Why would you get extensions because she cut her hair? Does she not like the way she cut her hair? If so, I guess that's too bad. If she likes her hair, then let it go. Maybe ask her if she wants to go the the salon and just get it trimmed up a bit.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• OP: I don't think you quite understand. She didn't cut her hair the way a normal 10 year old cut her hair. She cut her hair the way you think a 4 year old would cut their hair. She did a decent job on her bangs, but then cut out one ear and left the other. There are some pieces in the back that are two inches long and some that are 5 and some that are 7. Its bad. The extensions are my idea, because it's going to look awful once they trim it up. So the extensions are in a way for my piece of mind.
    Anonymous

• She is 10 years old and cut her hair? Sheesh my 5 yr old son did a whack job on his hair TWICE in 2 years with scissos, and both times I said, if you do this again, you are going to the hair salon and getting it trimmed up nicer......you did an OK job, but let's make it better cause you want your hair to grow back more even, then not. Right? (I HIDE scissors now!!)

Get her a pixie hair cut if anything and tell her she'll look real cute........kinda like how Rhianna's hair is an Victoria Beckhams hair is.

I know one black woman whom I first thought had a helmut on her head! She is a sweetheart to no end.....but her hairstyle??

It is long on her left side ( straight and covers her ear ) and the right side....you can see her ear and it is short. I do not get it at all but its cute..but I couldnt wear it for sure!

I would get her hair trimmed up, unless she is fine with going to school when it resumes like that?
    Anonymous

• my mom always let me get piercings & tattoos. she brought me to get my first tattoo when i was 16, and my first piercing when i was 13. i still have piercings, & many more tattoos, ive also always died my hair so i would be totally cool with whatever my kids want to do with the way they look as long its not bad for them, or my daughters not dressing overly slutty at a young age. but my son is only 7 months old, so i really havent had the chance to face to many parenting issues like that yet.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• BTW cheyanne, i have my lip pierced. its great!! FAV piercing ever. let her do it :)
    PURPULbutterfly

• I would take her to the stylist and see if they could fix it up a little. My oldest had a style that was really short in the back (shaved even at the nape of the neck) and was longer in front. It looked adorable on her. Maybe they could do something like that. I used to cut my own hair all the time when I was a kid. I think I was 13 or 14 the first time I did it, though.
    As for the other stuff. Not sure about the piercings but I might do a tattoo if they kept their grades up and picked something nice and put it in place that could be covered, like the ankle or shoulder.
    There was this girl at my high school that had several tattoos and purposefully got them in showy places, like above her breast and back of her neck just to piss off her parents and the school (it was a Catholic school). She looked trashy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• What "normal" 10 year old cuts their hair? Take her to the salon for a trim up. I don't understand why'd you waste money on extensions when she will probably just cut those.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Here is a wierd question........did she MEAN to cut it that way? Does she think it looks cool and wants to keep it? That seems pretty extreme to be accidental coming from a ten year old. I would be tempted to let her wear it for a few days in public. I bet she wouldn't cut her own hair again.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2009