• In the Spotlight:

help! biting problem! 13 month old. . .

my son is 13 going on 14 months old. hes constantly chewing on everything which is fine..except for when the something is me! it hurts! my husband says to bit him back. ive tried poping him,saying NO in a stern voice, and i even nipp'd him but it doesnt phase him!! its mostly on my right sholder since i hold him on my right side. . my arm needs your help and best advice!

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 8:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD did that we would grab her face make her look at us and tell her no that she isn't to bite. But you need to grab the face firmly so that it is startling so that he will get the point.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I like true's answer.... above me. Startle him and say it loudly....
    Anonymous

• Also they outgrow that stage pretty quick so it wont last too long but you gotta out your foot down. My dd had a lot of teeth and really hurt us.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My dd was about that age the first time she bit me... and REALLY hard! Left a bruise that covered my tricep! So, I grabbed her, looked her in the eye, said "biting hurts!" and I bit her enough to leave a little red mark but no teeth marks. She cried and I explained that is how it feels when she bites me. Now she's 26 mos and hasn't even thought about it since.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I bit my DD back. It took 2 tries to get the pressure right to cause pain but not leave a mark. After the second incident she hasn't bitten anyone. I also had to do this with pinching. That took 3 tries. You never want to inflict pain on your child, but they have to learn that it isn't nice when you do these things.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:33 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I also told her that biting hurts and that pinching hurts when I did these back to her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:34 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My son went through it too. and with a whole mouth full of teeth it was getting old and I looked like a Dalmation! lol
    I started out holding him away from me and telling him NO!. it worked for about 15 seconds and then he go angry and bit my dog and broke the skin. So I bit him back hard enough to show I meant business but not enough to leave a mark. I think I startled him so badly that he got the point. We (my dog and myself) didn't get bit for a few days and then it started back. When he bit me I would bite him back, tell him no and put him directly into his crib. I would tell him that when he calmed down he could get out, but if he bit me again, then back to the crib. That was the trick.
    I hated to bite my son but enough was enough when my mother asked me if my husband had been hitting me! BITE THEM BACK!
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 11:34 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I never ever ever ever would bite my son. NEVER. The thing that worked for me was grabbing his face and saying in a stern voice NO BITE! and then sit him on the other side of the room. Because when he would bite it was because he wanted attention. He has bit us since. He did bite my father-in-law though because he (my father-in-law) wouldn't let my son down and so he got mad. but other then that i haven't seen him bite anyone else
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2010