do you care what your neighbor thinks of your religion? Do you care what your neighbor believes?

Does it really matter to you what your neighbor believes? or doesn't believe?

If they talk about beliefs you don't like can't you just walk away politely? My friend started talking about all this blue moon goddess stuff today and I just politely said I had to go. On the other hand, she can't seem to give me enough respect when talking about my relgion. I mention I was going to Mass today so I had to get off the phone. Really all she had to do was say ok talk to you later but of course there was talk about Mary is a goodess. Shouldnt we be worried about our own beliefs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i dont give a shit what anybody believes as long as they dont try and shove their religion down my throat. but im always up for a good debate!!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:47 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• How about just making a deal that you two will NEVER talk about anything that has to do with your religious beliefs. There are many people that do that. I don't talk about religion or politics with friends or family.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I have no idea what religion my neighbors are, and I doubt they know mine. The Christmas decorations might have been a tip off, but even that's not 100% anymore.

I'm confident in my beliefs because I feel I'm right. That's what we should feel about our own personal faith, no matter what it may be.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I believe what I believe they can believe what they want, and that is what I would tell somebody who was making me feel uncomfortable.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I'm confident in my beliefs because I feel I'm right. That's what we should feel about our own personal faith, no matter what it may be.
    __

I totally agree with you. If she was confident in her beliefs she wouldnt want to debate mine.

to the poster who said we should never talk about religion. I didn't think I was talking about religion. I told her I had to go and why. If you are suggesting I hide my religion; it won't happen. Just like I won't ask her to hide her religion.
    Anonymous

• I don't care.Everyone around here is mostly fanatical Christian radicalists who believe everything is a sin but I am not like that but then again,this is Alabama ,what can I espect?
    I don't look for accpeptance,I EXPECT it and if I DON'T get it,I move on .
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 8:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I've never understood this. Does it really matter what anyone else believes? I take care of my own door step so to speak. Instead of saying I have to go now because I am going to mass, I just say I need to go, see you later. I learned a long time ago, because of how my mother in law treats me and my family that not everyone has your best interests at heart. Do your own thing. Beliefs are just that beliefs. You aren't going to change anyone and obviously no one is going to change me either. I love a good discussion (not debate because the goal to change someone or put them down is a losing battle), I like to learn about what others believe, but no one is going to change you. Pick your battles. Be a good person and all is good!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• No one asks you to hide. Just be respectful and know that it will stir things up if you talk about it. It's really not a hard concept to understand.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

__

I think i am going to ignore you :) I don't think saying I have to go because I am going to Mass to be stirring anything up. I think it is saying I can't talk and here is why. You have a good evening and happy new year.
    Anonymous

• Why do people do the same things and yet expect different results? You obviously think you should have some magical power to control your friend so she does exactly what you want her to do. It doesn't work like that. Other people on here have told you the same thing. You already seem to know that mentioning anything about your religion will provoke some kind of response. Either change the behavior or accept the response. Good Luck!!

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2009