How do you make onion rings?

Hubby and I are trying to make onion rings. The last time we tried the batter and breading fell right off. Is there a special batter? How do we make onion rings so the breading stays on? We used 2 eggs last time and flour for breading.

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I don't do much deep frying at home. My mom said the best onion rings she ever had were made by a friend who used pancake mix and beer for the batter. Sounds pretty interesting to me. I love onion rings, has to be my favorite fried food!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:31 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• use bisquick mix and beer or water your choice to make it goopy dip the onions put them in the freezer dipped for 10 mins then fry them. Good luck. You can also roll the dipped rings in bread crumbs after freezing if you want. I used to make the batter for onion rings when I worked at sonic.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• i used to make fire cracker onion rings. I cut my onions really thin, soaked them in hot sauce then poured the flour in a bowl then tossed in the onions. Everyone does them differently. I think soaking them in something first helps.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Get in your car and drive to the staore and go to the frozen food department and get a bag of onion rings and bring them home and deep fry them :~) HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Anonymous

• I kind of agree with Anon - except my version is going to a restaurant we like and ordering a family size plate of them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• LOL anon's! Trust me! if we had the $ we sure would! thank you for answers! happy new year!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:03 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• chop an onion and forget the bread crumbs
    niceandspice

Answer by niceandspice at 7:29 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I just use Drake's. Make it a little thicker so that it stays on the onions. I love the flavor of Drakes.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2010