Do babies want to eat more when strictly on breastmilk?

My baby was born the 27th... He wouldnt latch on at all despite all the efforts of every nurse in the hospital. So I tried to pump.. nothing would come out but a few droplets. So I was formula feeding. Well I can pump full bottles now and as soon as i switched him over to Breastmilk he wants to eat like every 1-1 1/2 hours.. Is this normal? on Formula it was every 2- 3 hours. He is also pooping A LOT! its yellow and soft... I dont think its diarrhea, but it might be. Im not familiar with baby poop. This is my first child. Since starting him on BM he has cried a lot more too.. Why is this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YES! But make sure you are breastfeeding that the baby completely empties at least one breast because the thicker milk is the hind milk!
    Formula is way thicker and they can have less of it to be more full.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 9:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Yes formula is more filling and stays in them longer breastmilk is so gently it goes right through so they are more hungry.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Breastmilk is easier on the tummy and easier to digest so they get hungry more often which is normal. His poop should be kind of loose, yellow and seedy. If he cries a lot more on breastmilk... it might just be that he would have anyway and a coincidence... but it might be something in your diet upsetting his tummy. Cut out spicy foods and things that produce gas and see if it helps.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Breastmilk is easier to digest and it digests much faster than formula. If you haven't, I would try to get him to latch on. Pumping can be fine in the beginning, but it will get harder as time goes on and the baby wants to eat more and more. I was only pumping with my first and no one told me anything and I didn't bother to try to get her to latch ever again and I gave up around 3 months because I got mastis and my milk dried up from me not pumping often enough.
    His poop is normal. It should be a yellow color with little seed like things in it. Granted my youngest poop has always been a odd color of orange and sometime will be the normal yellow seedy stuff. As long as it's not like he's pooping water, he's fine. You will know if it's not normal poop.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Way to go overcoming a rough start! Hopefully he can master latching on, so breastfeeding can be more of a bonding experence, & pumping not such a chore. Babies who are nursed do eat more often, but that doesn't last forever.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• The only thing I have to add is that you might try contacting your local La Leche League group.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Yes and I agree with everything the others Mothers have said. Breastfed babies should be fed on demand, so nursing every 1-1/2 hrs is normal. You should also practice alternating the breast he starts with to ensure both are being emptied. The more you nurse, the more milk you'll produce. I pumped my milk and froze it so that whenever I needed a break, my husband could give him a bottle of breast milk. Soft yellow, seedy stools are normal. Diahrrea smells like something died. There's no mistaking that smell! If baby cries more than usual, check your diet: cancel anything that causes gas, for example like onions. I used to cry, for feeling like a cow to my baby, but it was well worth the bonding, health benefits for my baby and it didn't last forever. I nursed all three of my children and they're now grown.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:32 AM on Jan. 1, 2010