Does your SO/DH play TOO many video games?

My husband is a gamer. I knew this when I married him and it never bothered me before. I figure it's less expensive than a lot of hobbies and it keeps him at home. Lately, though, it's really gotten on my nerves. His idea of playing with the baby is to sit on the coffee table and play XBox 360 while she crawls around on the ground. Then he's surprised when she gets upset or wants attention and says things like "She's right here...I'm looking at her and paying attention to her." No, you're playing a video game and she's entertaining herself.

Not that I have anything against children entertaining themselves, and she usually does a pretty darn good job of it for an 11 month old. It's just...if you are going to spend time with your daughter, spend time with her.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Lissachck

Asked by Lissachck at 9:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes & it drives me nuts.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Only when he's playing video games with my older children. If he's playing with our son, he's usually doing the shape sorter or stacking rings (what my son is into right now). Because he's only 14 months old, he goes to bed in plenty of time for my dh to have his "game time" at night.

Answer by missanc at 10:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My ex used to do that all the time and i am a mother of 2 boys and the games alway would get in the way of family time, thats one reason why we are not together anymore.
    zackarysmommy

Answer by zackarysmommy at 10:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• that sounds exactly like my husband. It doesnt bother me though.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My husband beats video games in a matter of days, so he switched to a World of Warcraft subscription. I don't much expect him to entertain the kids while he's playing.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Are we married to the same guy?
    Yea. I have this problem. I knew going in he was a gamer. I liked the idea that he was. I guess I didn't realize what that entailed, because honestly I wish her weren't a gamer. At all.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• No, I am actually the gamer in the family. I buy games for him & he still won't touch them.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• We're both gamers. I found though that my baby likes to entertain himself, he already doesn't like to be held as much. he also likes to watch us play the games and play with the controllers.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 5:12 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Nope, lol. I play more than my husband. But we both know when we are watching the kids not to play unless we are playing video games WITH them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:40 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Luckily, neither of us play video games and I'm not buying a system for the house.
    Anonymous