Any cat people around?

I got a new kitten on xmas eve. We locked Dale in the bathroom at night with his litterbox and after a few days he started going in it, not problems at all. Then today he got up, walked over to the sliding glass door and pooped on the carpet. Five minutes later he went under my desk and pooped, then a few minutes ago he tried peeing on the carpet ( i caught him and immediately carried him to the litterbox. The litter box is clean, nothing has changed in my house. What could possibly be going on? Any help or advice would be great!

barefootbchbum

Asked by barefootbchbum at 9:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Pets

• He needs to learn is all you need to be stern about it not being ok to go anywhere else when you catch him take his poop and him throw them in the litter box that worked with out cat
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• How old is he exactly? kittens are like kids in that if they are in the middle of playing they forget they need to go until it is to late sometimes. You might want to put a few litter boxes around temporarily until he is completely trained. Another possibility is that he has a bladder infection sometimes if it is painful they will even poop outside the box as their way of saying something is wrong.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Is he peeing? He could have crystals in his urine, be sure he's peeing. Is the box in the bathroom where it's noisy? He could also be mad, forgetful, dislike the kind of litter, etc. keep putting him the box.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• He's nine weeks old, and yes he's peeing...he peed on me as I was taking him to the bathroom. We use the same litter as the previous owner used, the box is in the bathroom (its the quietest spot in our house). thanks for the advice!
    barefootbchbum

Answer by barefootbchbum at 11:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Did you have a prevoius cat?
    Froggy_girl1790

Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• yes i have another cat, (who is nine months old) the two get along fine, and the behavior hasn't been constant, the kitten was using the litter box just fine, no problems, then just started defecating outside the box yesterday (after using it for four days with no problems).
    barefootbchbum

Answer by barefootbchbum at 3:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• hes just having issues, if you have worries ask your vet
    Froggy_girl1790

Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• That's a small kitten. But when he was locked in the bathroom he had no choice where else to go right? Now he does? If it smells clean to you may not be to him! Littter box issues aree common. Is he Well? With Christmas he's probably not getting acquainted enough and loved! Reinforcement on where tofgo! Patience Etc.. I have 13 Cats. I have problems myself. But can go for a long time and be fine. Take time and keep watching him. A Stern no is good to let him know you're displeased of him messing up. Reinforce him where to go. It may take some time but it should all work out! Cats Gotta' Love 'em! Good Luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Try leaving a poop in the litter box, if its too clean all the time it never has his smell in it.
    MummaMel

Answer by MummaMel at 9:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2010