Love thy neighbor

what does the bible mean by "neighbor" does it mean the person next door?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• it means 'fellow man'..or woman.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• LoL. Well those that are next door too! I agree with pp. "fellow man/ woman"
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Good as I can't stand my neighbor.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Loving your neighbor means everyone.
    The scripture is this Leviticus 19:17-19 (New American Standard Bible)
    17'You shall not hate your fellow countryman in your heart; you may surely reprove your neighbor, but shall not incur sin because of him.18'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD. Matthew 5:42-44 (New American Standard Bible) 42"Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.43"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' 44"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
    continued
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Matthew22 36"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?"37And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' 38"This is the great and foremost commandment.39"The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' 40"On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I hate my neighbors so too bad :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I guess if you follow the Bible literally then it means love the person next door. I read that to mean love your fellow man as you love yourself.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Perhaps 'love' means 'respect'?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:27 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• "Perhaps 'love' means 'respect'?"

Respect is included in that, but 'love' here is actually the word agape, which is literally love in the highest sense and it includes our affection, fondness, and service.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:49 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• See... this is why things are lost in translation and unless you take Greek or Hebrew, you never know what they're talking about for real in the Bible. It's a good thing most Bibles have little explanations for everything on the bottom or in the margins. And it's supposed to be clear to those who believe... yeah right, without those explanations, there would be even MORE sects broken off interpreting things THEIR way.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:56 AM on Jan. 1, 2010