Is this a bit hypocritical in your opinion?

Why when we see a woman outside dressed provocatively, we call her "trashy" because she is dressed in a certain manner. Is that somewhat hypocritical? Should it matter how a person is dressed ever? I am not discussing whether or not they were/are/will be raped or assaulted. Because I doubt that we are concerned with the other woman's well-being. But why as women do we allow this thinking to pervade our thoughts? Why do we get upset over how other women are dressed? Is it jealousy or something else? Why is an expression of a woman's sexuality through fashion, still such an issue? I mean there was a time before WWI that showing your ankle was considered provocative. And what about those "Cindy Brady" dresses of the 70's? You couldn't wear those now. Yet those were acceptable even on adults.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If I put on a curly rainbow wig and clown clothing, anyone who looks at me is going to assume that I'm a clown.
    If I put on scrubs and a lab coat, anyone who looks at me will assume that I work in the medical field.
    If I put on a tramp outfit, anyone who looks at me will assume that I'm a tramp, right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• People should care how they dress because that's the first thing people see. How you dress and how you carry yourself tells a lot about you as a person. There is a big difference between sexy and trashy. Also, there is a time and place for everything. I actually love the 50's style dresses, to me that it very sexy.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Well said, legalmommy101..

I agree!

I also love 50s dresses..hell, anything 50s - that's my decade! Too bad I was born 3 decades later..haha.
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 11:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• A lot also depends on the woman's body type.

I'm 5 foot even and have 42 DD's. I'm pretty thin so a lot of my shirts cling to my boobs and its hard for me to wear certain outfits. What can look slutty as hell on me is appropriate on my less endowded sister.

Anonymous

• " I also love 50s dresses..hell, anything 50s - that's my decade! Too bad I was born 3 decades later..haha. "

Funny, I thought I was the only one. I also love 50's jewelry. Back in the day I was a car show model. The only shows I wanted to do were classic cars because the girls got to dress up in all 50's style clothing. Absolutely loved it! :) The 50's style pin ups are sexier than anything around today that's for sure.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• OP HERE: Okay so what you are saying is that a woman can not dress provocatively and carry herself well? She can't be in, lets say a mini skirt and a vee necked blouse, and be just as confident in a business meeting as if she were wearing pants? That a woman should dress to please someone other than herself? Because if I am dressing myself to make a "first impression" isn't that what you are doing? Mind you, I am not neccessarily talking about work, but even when you are at the mall or places like that.

Anonymous

• Well, they aren't the same things. Dressing for success and dressing for a bar are two totally different things. You can dress how you want but you also won't be respected or taken seriously in the business world either.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I agree that it's hypocritical but as my son so eloquently told me "We have to live in the real world and not TV world." Unfortunately, women are judged harshly by the manner in which they dress. Personally, I'd like to wear whatever I damn well please, whenever I please, but the consequences are not worthwhile. Wasn't it Malcolm X who once said "You can tell the quality of a nation by the manner in which their women dress?" SUCKS

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:04 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Op again: I should also admit to telling you all that most of my clothing is navy blue, jeans and sweaters. I loved pleated skirts, blazers and oxford shirts as a teen. The most provocative article of clothing I have ever owned was a pair of jean shorts that had garter belts attatched to them on the outside. (yeah, I know, but I was 18 and looked fabulous in them and I only ever wore them once with the stockings and heels to a party, and on the top I wore a bustier and a black see through poet's blouse over top of that. It was the 90's.) They were mid to lower thigh level. So its not like they were daisy dukes. I didn't buy them because they were "Sexy" I bought them because I thought they were "cool". Yet like I said they were very out of character.

I am just wondering if women will ever allow other women to dress freely without being catty about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• If a woman dresses like a tramp she shouldn't be offended when people think she's a tramp. You project an image by the way you dress, whether it's accurate or not. People judge first based on appearance...it's just human nature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jan. 1, 2010