What could be a reason for your heart to stop for a few seconds??

This only happends when I'm going to sleep at night. It feels like my heart starts to race , then suddenly, my heart actually stops for about 3-5 seconds. I'm unable to talk or make any kind of sound at all when it happens, and my entire chest feels tight. This began about 2 weeks ago, and has happened about 5 times now. The one night, it happened twice within a few minutes. As I said, it has only happened when I'm resting. Yes, I need to call my doctor, but has anyone else ever had this happen, and any ideas as to why?? It really scares me..any input would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Health

• I've had the heart racing thing but not the heart stopping. I've had it miss a beat before but I could still function. Please go to the ER and have that checked. I wouldn't wait for a dr appt.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:09 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• could be an ectopic heartbeat. not really anything to worry about, but i'd certainly get checked
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:11 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Sleep apnea maybe
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 1:19 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• How old are you? I would definitely get checked. You will probably need to wear a heart monitor for a day or two to catch any irregularities.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:23 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• apnea is when you stop breathing, i think
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:37 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• There could be a lot of reasons why it's happening... A cardiac arrhythmia is nothing to screw around with though. I would get an appointment with your primary doctor ASAP. He/she should be able to help you figure out what's going on & refer you to a cardiologist, if necessary.
    Is there any possibility it could be an anxiety issue?
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:56 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Get seen asap. You can just drop dead of heart issues no matter what age you are. Good luck. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Sounds like an arrythmia to me. I had the same thing happen and I was just told to avoid caffeine--boom! it was fixed. Sometimes there could be an easy solution. If you aren't having pain, then I personally would try to wait until I could see a heart doctor. But don't delay at all in getting an appointment.
    fanficbug

Answer by fanficbug at 7:00 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Sounds like Narcolepsy. Although there's no cure for narcolepsy, medications and lifestyle changes can help you manage the symptoms. People with narcolepsy often experience a temporary inability to move or speak while falling asleep or upon waking. These episodes are usually brief — lasting one or two minutes — but they can be frightening. You may be aware of the condition and have no difficulty recalling it afterward, even if you had no control over what was happening to you.
    The signs and symptoms of narcolepsy can begin anytime up to your 50s, but they most commonly begin between the ages of 10 and 25. Narcolepsy is chronic, which means signs and symptoms may vary in severity, but they never go away entirely.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 2:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010