about what age can you put a baby on a schedule?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies should never be put on a schedule :(

think about it, are you hungry and/or eat exactly every four hours? do you go to bed and wake up at the exact same time every day? do you use the restroom at the same time every day?

babies do well with a regular schedule, yes, but don't PUT them on a schedule, let their body cues lead. they know what they need and when they need it
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:13 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I have twins and they were premies so they had to spend time in the NICU. Pretty much from day 1 the nurses had them on a schedule. Being as little as they were they were fed every 3 hours (of course if they were awake and hungry before they were fed) and they seemed to figure that out. When they came home they stayed on the every 3 hours until one night my DD slept through one night feeding...then another...then my DS started to follow suit....

At about 3 months they really got a consistent schedule down. But every kid is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My experiance, my first son I didn't put him on a schedule I just went with the flow now he is four and I still have problems putting him to bed and eating time etc. etc.
    My 13 month old I had him on a schedule since he was born, he of course ate when he was hungry and I fed him till he was full, but sleeping wise and play time I had him on a schedule. Since he was born he goes to bed at 8p.m wakes up about 8:00-9:00 a.m plays then eats takes a nap at about 11:00 sleeps 3-4 hours wakes up plays eats takes a nap at about 5:00 p.m I wake him up around 6:00-6:30 p.m plays eats and goes back to bed around 8 give or take.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:24 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• i never put my daughter on a set schedule....but...she was on a routine...wasnt ever really the same time of day every day, but we did do stuff in the same order (especially at bedtime)...and i personally found it sooooo much easier for her..she knew what was comin, and knew it was bedtime..simple as that!! but still to this day (shes 5) i dont have her on a set schedule..like 7 -bath 720 - story - 730 bed!! i dont do that!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• HA, HA....been there done that honey......
    Hospitals, nurses all tell you that CRAP.......
    You can try, but it will not work...
    THEY DECIDE their schedule.
    As soon as you, think figure them out , they change
    your child contiuelly changes...
    and BEYOND, they are never on one.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 1:28 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• People can be so discouraging! Its irritating! My DD is 13 mths and she has been on a schedule from day 1. She always knows what's coming and is very predictable because of it. Your child should have structure and this is a great way of implementing it.although we obviously do different things all the time but we try to stick with when she'll take nap or bedtime, eat etc. I don't think that you should live by your childs time, its you that should dictate that while thinking of your childs need and accommodating them. It makes things easier for you and your child. Trust me. I would like to suggest a book, it helped me with scheduling and everything!! Its by Tracy Hogg: The baby whisperer solves all your problems. I know it sounds weird but just give it a try. Its great advice! Ill even send you my book if you want! Message me : ) good luck
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 1:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I had my daughter on a sleep schedule by 3 weeks old. She ate approximately every 2 hours as well, even during the night. At 4 months old she started sleeping through the night from 6pm to 5-7 am, with the exception of a few bottles every night. And at 6 months old she started sleeping completely through the night. No bottles, no me rocking her to sleep for 30 minutes. She completely crashes on her own.

The key to children and babies is consistency. Their needs differ slightly at times, but if you retain the schedule as best as you can, it is really best for baby and parents.

I learned my tricks from What to Expect The First Year book. It was seriously amazing.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 2:28 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• HA, HA....been there done that honey...... Hospitals, nurses all tell you that CRAP....... You can try, but it will not work...

Wow so I guess all those nurses that took care of my twins in the NICU were full of crap eh?  Then why, as my post above states, did my twins come out of the NICU on a schedule?  It takes consistency and work on the part of the mother but for some it is possible.  Your attitude sucks.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My son was on a schedule from the time he was a newborn. Consistency is very important for an infants security. Not only does it help the baby feel secure (which will help baby be stress free) but it is also good for the parent(s). You can pretty much predict when they will be hungry, have a dirty diaper, and sleep. I strongly recommend a schedule/routine, for the baby's sake and it can be started at birth. Just listen to your baby and before long you will have everything down to a t. :)
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• LOVE YOU PERFECT MOMS ..................................................
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 4:19 AM on Jan. 1, 2010