How can I get him to stop scratching himself?

My son is 4 months old and is still scratching his face, he pinches and digs at it with his hands- especially when he's waking up. I cut his finger nails and low as possible and he still manages to hurt himself pretty bad- why isn't he learning that scratch=pain? I would put socks and mittens on his hands but now that he put his hands in his mouth they stay clean for like an hour.

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 2:02 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did the same thing. There's really nothing you can do besides putting the mittens on...
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 2:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My son did the same thing too!

I just had to get a few pair of the mitten, and though the hands were in the mouth, make sure they were on snug enough not to come off while he had his hands in his mouth.

I trimmed his nails too......bless them...they just don't realise it as they are learning they can move all over, they have no control over that yet. He'll be fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Keep his nails short, and then keep an eye on him pull his little hand away when he does it.He'll stop soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Just have patience. The mittens may prolong the behavior so I wouldn't use them. It looks awful but he will be ok.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• my son is 3 months and does the same thing we change his mittins about 4 times a day but i do take them off for a few days at a time a week let him see his hands and usually scratch up his face lol then i put them back on to let him heal i know it looks terrible and im always trying to make sure he doesnt gouge out his little eyes all we can do is try and hope they grow out of it soon
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 4:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My son is 6 months old and still scratches his face pretty bad. I tried putting mittens on him but he just takes them right off, so that doesn't work. The only thing you can really do is cut his nails really short and when you see him trying to scratch himself just just "no" and move his hands away. thats the only way I get my son to stop scratching his face.
    novasuper

Answer by novasuper at 4:39 AM on Jan. 3, 2010