Banned words....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091231/us_nm/us_bannedwords

Tops on the Michigan university's list of useless phrases was "shovel-ready." The term refers to infrastructure projects that are ready to break ground and was popularly used to describe road, bridge and other construction projects fueled by stimulus funds from the Obama administration.

And speaking of stimulus, that word -- which was applied to government spending aimed at boosting the economy -- made the over-used category as well, along with an odd assortment of Obama-related constructions such as Obamacare and Obamanomics......Also making the list was "teachable moment."

"This phrase is used to describe everything from potty-training to politics. It's time to vote it out!" said one list contributor.

Full list in the article, there are sooo many from our current administration!!!

29again

Asked by 29again at 3:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The words aren't actually banned, Jesse. This is tongue-in-check. The point is they are over-used and BS.

Shovel-ready is BS. Many of those "shovel-ready" projects have NOT even started. Total crap.

Thanks 29!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• That's funny! Seems like they want to erase all of the bad stuff that came out of this administration's first year--which is "unfortunate" because they're terms and phrases that will continue to get so much mileage! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:25 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• And from such a "liberal" school.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:27 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Yeah, I thought it was funny how almost every phrase that came from this administration is on the banned list. But, did anyone notice that "terrorist", "the war on terror", and phrases like that are NOT on the list???
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:01 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• 29again check out the polls and most didnt even want Gitmo closed
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I guess book burning is next. I'm sure there are plenty of books in the library that use many of the terms which are banned. Sad to see and know this happens in our country. Liberals don't like being compared to the Nazi Regime, but I have to say this is very "Nazi-like".
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I look forward to this list every year, I get really tired of cliches. It's always a good list. To the posters above referring to Obama and liberalism, just an FYI, this list is not political at all, it's non-biased. It's also not Nazi-like, for crying out loud, it's a bunch of bookish-types that are complaining about words that are over-used and misused, or just plain annoying. I could really go the rest of my life without hearing the words "app" and "tweet." lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• And who do you think are teaching our children about PC terms, acceptable terms, words we can use and not use? The bookish types who are in the position of "professor" at universities and colleges. The same institutions where people like William Ayers teaches. Groovy man! Dig it?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Wow, not even a year in and they are wanting to use the eraser! Cool.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• And who do you think are teaching our children about PC terms, acceptable terms, words we can use and not use?

_______________________________________________________

Are you serious?

I am continually amazed that the most benign, apolitical thing can be turned into an anti-Obama/ anti-liberal bash on CM. It's actually amazing to me. I though all of us smart women that post in P&CE would get a good chuckle out of these over-used words. http://www.lssu.edu/banished/archived_lists.php  here are the past years lists.  Fun to look through and remember the slang from the past!

stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2010