how do you know if your child is lactose intolerant?

I ask because I switched my DD to whole milk almost 2 mths ago and she's still not use to it. She's really constipated (everyday) and hurts to pass a bowel. I already spoke to her pedi and have been trying to help my DD. My SO and I are not lactose intolerant. I just want to know how do you know if someone is lactose intolerant? Is it possible if both parents aren't lactose intolerant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• One way to know is by flatulence and at times stomach pain.

family in the van

dbrooks91

Answer by dbrooks91 at 4:02 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• i would say it would aggrivate her stomach more than constipate
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• It can and will cause a painful tummy and constipate. My son and I both are lactose intollerant... him moreso than me. I switched him to soy milk and he's great with it. No pains no constipation. There are other milks you can try though if you don't want soy... Rice milk & almond milk for example. Just stop the reg. milk if you think that is what is causing the prob. And wait a few days. Let her system calm. You'll know pretty quick if it was the prob. or not. Luck to you!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:20 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My DD is lactose intolerant but not horribly. It give her awful diarrhea about 20 min after having it. She doesn't complain about it and lactaid has helped tremendously! Until we decided that was the problem she had an awful time gaining weight form it. I am pretty sure it can be different for everyone though so I would suggest doing what our ped. asked us to do which was remove ALL dairy from the diet for one week. Take note on any changes in you LO bowel pattern then report to the ped.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Try giving her a milk with less fat in it. Whole milk has a lot of fat and that sometimes bothers the stomach. Ask the doc about giving her 2% or 1% milk or buy Deans Lactose Free milk. I am Lactose Intolerant and I get horrible stomach cramps, constipation and sometimes diahrrea.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2010