If you're an only child....

Do you wish you had a sibling or siblings or did you like being an only child? What are some positive/negative aspects of it.

Any input would be very helpful. Thanks!!

Happy New Year!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was an only child till i was 15.5, I played good by myself alot of the time. I pretended alot. I pretended i had playmates. I did have 2 cousins that lived next door to me, who i saw and played with everyday. They were more like siblings to me than cousins. When i was 13, my parents divorced and remarried. And then when i was 15.5, my mom had my half-sister. And i had always wanted a brother or sister, but by the time mom had my sister, i was too old to care for it. I was done in my teens and interested in boys. Because the difference in our ages, me and my sister are not close. I kinda liked being the only child, did not have to share everything. I had always wanted a sister though, but when i got one, she was so different than me, her personality, we just not close. She is gone and she deserted her child, and she don't care about family, till she needs or wants something from mom. The only time she comes around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• There were times, especially when I was really young (like under 10 or 12) that I wanted a sibling. But as I got older, it wasn't so bad. I got to have things that my friends didn't, like a TV or stereo in my room, I was treated with more respect than some of my friends (who didn't get trusted b/c of what big sis or bro did). I hung around more adults, therefore I matured more quickly than some of my friends, which has always given me somewhat of an edge, I've been very grown up since I was a teen.

There are times now that I do sometimes occasionally think it would be nice to have a sibling, so my kids would have cousins and so that after my parents are gone, I won't be all that's left.

It's not something that breaks my heart, though.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:51 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I've enjoyed it all. Life growing up was good, life is good. I dread lossing my parents and having to deal with that by myself and then being all alone.I will miss my parents big time and it is going to be hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• The only problem with that is you'll end up taking care of your parents. It's on your shoulders to make big decisions on their lives and health care when they can't no longer do it.
    Anonymous

• Wow...the first Anon could have been me! My sister & I are 12 yrs apart and pretty much the rest applies.

However; I did want two have at least two kids; just much closer in age so that no matter what might happen to my SO or myself they would have someone else in this world that was 'theirs' that knew where they came from and who they were and what they were all about.
    Anonymous

• I never really wanted siblings when I was young. But as an adult closing in on 40, I wish I had at least one sibling. It's a lonesome feeling knowing that when something happens to my parents I will be alone (not counting my children & spouse) there won't be anyone left from my family. I have two children :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I never wanted siblings and had a very blessed childhood. My parents and my aunt and uncle died a few years ago in a plane crash it was very difficult but my husband and friends were all there for me. My aunt and uncle had 6 kids all they did was fight over the estate and they are not close at all. So even if I had a sibling doesn't mean we would even like each other. I don't like my cousin.lol We have an only child had no desire to have more children after my sons birth. My husband got a vasectomy so we are really done. My son is a great kid very social and intelligent. He has a large social circle with many friends who are closer than family could ever be. I learned as an only child family is not defined by biology I have a huge family filled with many friends who I actually like being around.
    Anonymous

• Never really wanted them growing up, I had enough cousins to make up for it that we saw on a regular basis.

As for caring for them when they are older - yes, it's more work on one person, but at the other end, there's no fighting and backstabbing. I've watched cousins families torn to shreds as their parents get older and the fighting starts over who spends more time and who spends more money. My own step-mother worked herself to death, literally, being primary caregiver to her mother because her siblings were "too busy". She died of a heart attack in the middle of the night, and suddenly they had to grow up and help out. I had to be the primary caregiver for my mother for years before she passed, but at the same time, I didn't have to fight with anyone about every little decision.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I am the only child between my mom and dad. He has a daughter and son with another woman. I never asked for a brother or sister growing up. I like being spoiled and getting all the clothes, toys and attention from my mom and grandparents. I have two daughters ages 5 and 3 1/2 and one more on the way due this year in April. I am have more then one child because i like being pregnant, i like kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• You can learn a lot about only children at Psychology Today where I write a blog about onlies called "Singletons." Here's the link: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/singletons

Susan Newman, Ph.D., author of Parenting an Only Child: The Joys and Challenges of Raising Your One and Only.

snewmanphd

Answer by snewmanphd at 9:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2010