My daughters ear grew over her earring backing, its inside her earlobe! What do I do? It's a holiday weekend and not sure I can get her to her doctor!

momofmegan

Asked by momofmegan at 8:27 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• That happened to me when I was a teen.  I suggest you take her to the ER if you can't wait for your doctor's office to open. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:37 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• that happened to me twice whenever i was in elementary school. I remember my parents doing it themselves to get it out, but I suggest going to the ER.
    ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Answer by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 8:40 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I'd take her to the ER. You don't want this to turn into a nasty infection.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:00 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't necessarily go to the ER, but I would visit a walk in clinic. How did you not notice this sooner? It takes awhile for this to happen. Just curious not bashing.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:13 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Since it's probably been this way for awhile, an ER visit is not necessary. Take her to the regular doctor next week and they can help you.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:11 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My dd had a similar problem. She put them on too tight & the front of the earring went into her earlobe. I used a pair of tweezers & "fished" it out. Applied alcohol.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Take her to the ER.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Thanks for all the responses, I went ahead and took her to the walk in clinic and they were able to numb her ear and work it out! Thank goodness. Coala, She actually has only had these earrings for a month and a half so actually it didn't take long at all for this to happen! The doctor said it is quite common if the backings are too small and pushed against the ear. I certainly will be keeping a close eye on them from now on. But how often do you look at the back of your ear? If they don't complain then you don't know anything is wrong! Believe me I felt horrible, till the nurse said it happens all the time and not just in children, adults too! There was absolutely no way for me to have known this would happen! She has had her ears peirced for 4 years without any issues! Thanks again!
    momofmegan

Answer by momofmegan at 1:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Take her to the ER, I am sure she isn't comfortable.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010