Roseville, CA: Christmas shoppers browse quietly, pay even though store is closed.

The store was closed but the doors were defective and came open, so shoppers made their selections, and left the money in piles near the cash registers. The police finally came, found all peaceful, no looting or theft occurring! Would you pay if there were no store employees? Would you mind the "honor system"?

http://www.examiner.com/x-19632-Salt-Lake-City-Headlines-Examiner~y2009m12d27-California-Safeway-store-doors-unlocked-during-Christmaspeople-leave-cash

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I wonder if they could tell the store was closed from the outside? Most grocery stores leave the lights on, and if you see customers inside, it might have looked like it was open for business. If I went in and found out it was closed, I would probably get what I needed and yes, I would have paid. I would have thought that it was possible the store managers wouldn't get the money, but MY conscience would be clear. (Karma, you know.) Not too many stores are open on Christmas Day, so finding another open store might have been hard.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:46 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Interesting story. I use to live in a small town neighboring Roseville in Placer County. The store is located next to a very big, busy mall and busy Highway and Freeway Junction. Nice place to live.

My husband is in the gorcery business. I'll pass the story along-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:04 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I would not enter a store that was not open for business-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:05 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Refreshing to see people still have soem manners.
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 9:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I would stay out too.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:06 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I would have stayed out unless I needed something for the baby right then (and we've all been there a time ot two) and yes, I would have paid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Honestly, if the lights were on and the doors were open but no employees anywhere, my first thought would be who's robbed the store and is someone lying somewhere bleeding to death.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:40 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• yes, I used to know a restaurant that worked that way.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't go in. Closed is closed even if the doors don't know it. I am, however, impressed by the people who went in and were honest about their purchases. It speaks well of that community.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2010