What is his problem?

We had a few friends and their kids over last night to ring in the new year, with lots of food and fireworks, very laid back and low-key.I invited a new friend of mine and her family, I've never actually met her husband, but she and I have become friends recently and her son and my son are very good friends. Her husband dropped her and the kids off, and then he went home!! Then at 11, he came to pick them up, and didn't even get out of the car to come in and say hi. He called her from his cell phone and told her to come outside, he was waiting!!! Is it me, or is that really rude and weird? Obviously, we can't be THAT difficult of people to hang around because we had other friends here too, LOL!! I mean, he never even got out of the car, and I have no idea what the man even looks like!! Why would someone do that?

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 8:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• I would just talk to her about it and see what's going on.
    officerdouglas

Answer by officerdouglas at 9:06 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• He may not have been in the mood to hang out last night. I couldn't get mine to leave the house last night except to go to dinner b/c it was our anniversary.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:07 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I have a friend with a husband just like that, she and the kids will come down and he will call her when he is ready for them to come home....my husband thinks its very rude and always says something to her about it and she just says thats the way he is, he doesnt like "new" people and he is "backwards" I just let it pass im really not worried if he likes us or not. I do agree it's rude and he should at least make an effort to say hello once in a while but whatever, If i see black eyes on them ill question a little more maybe!? I think some people are just like that tho.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Some men are not social.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:16 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Maybe he had friends or family visiting him or other plans, or he could have been sick, he may be socially awkward or afraid of a group social anxiety, or maybe he is an ass. I would ask her about it because you never really know it could be any number of things. I am sure it had nothing to do with you.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:30 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Lazy, could be bothered, not interested....
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:00 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I'd have done pretty much what he did... or just let her drive herself to that get together. Could be that he had hoped they'd spend the occassion with him. It's awkward to meet someone else that way in my opinion. You're strangers to him and when you're the only one that doesn't know someone in a small group of people some of us are very self conscious, we have no idea what to say and don't know if we even like you or not. My hubby didn't know some friends of mine last year (they're all family) and I went ot watch fireworks with them. Hubby did show up and brought his sister with him, but I think he felt very uncomfortable and I didn't really want to have to entertain him or his sister. I tried to include them in conversation but let's face it... these people were people he'd heard a lot about, but they were still strangers. Later, in small groups I let him get to know them but he'd refuse to do a big group of them.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:11 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• They were all family with each other, not my family...
    lisa_ann_p

• he could be shy. or have social anxiety. I have social anxiety and i act the same way. It's not that i don't want friend and to be friendly- it's just groups of people (especially strangers) give me anxiety attacks.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 12:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Honestly, it could be something as simple as him being awkward and shy. He might not be good with people he doesn't know. You don't know him, like you said, so you can't judge his actions. You don't know why he did that.
    It is kind of rude, but again you don't know why. Talk to his wife about it and see if she can give some insight on it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2010