How do you take 3-1/2 yo's temperature?

We're greeting the new year with the flu bug :( . I've been lucky and have had healthy kids for the past 6+ months and haven't had to think about fevers). Up to now I've been taking rectal temperatures because I read they were the best for kids up to age 3. There are a lot of different recommendations for 3-4yos on the web. My son cooperates and doesn't mind getting his temperature taken in his bottom, I'm just wondering if he's getting too big and when to switch from rectal to oral or under the arm (the ear never worked for me). Thanks for you input!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Health

• Do it however he cooperates the best. I stop rectal temps at 1, but good for you it is the most accurate. If he will let you take it orally it is the next most accurate and then axillary (armpit). I hope you all feel better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:16 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• i take my son's in the ear. He's 1, his doctor said that was the best next to rectal, But with rectal if your not careful you can hurt them. i thought he was crazy lol but I guess if your not paying attention and they squirm a lot that can happen. my son did fine with rectal, but the ear is a lot easier for me, and a lot faster. Your just suppose to add one degree. (well that's what his doc said)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I've always taken my son's temp under his arm. I wouldn't want the thermometer stuck up my bum so I never wanted to do it to him.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:27 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My daughters dr. said underarm is least reliable so she recomended I use a forehead or an ear reading, in her office they use the forehead one so I guess that is what i will do. I usually dont even take their temp, I can pretty much guess and tell what temp they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I've always done underarm, even if it's not accurate. I actually remember my mom taking my temperature rectally which is extrememly embarrasing and for that reason I can't do it to my kids and would especially never do it to a 3 or 4 year old, I suppose I would for a baby if I had to. I have an ear thermometor but can never get anything even remotely accurate from it, either there is something wrong with it or I can't figure out how to aim it correctly, with the cover on I can't ever get anything over about 96 degrees.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• we use an ear thermometer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• : RhondaVeggie Same here I have never taken my kids temp up the bum either cause I to wouldn't want it up mine so I am not doing it to my kids lol. Since there were real little I have either taken it under the arm or inb the ear. My DD is 4.5 and she has been taking it under her tounge since she was I think 4. I still take my 2 year olds under the arm though
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I take my 3 year olds rectally. She wont hold it in her mouth yet. And she doesnt mind getting her temp taking that way
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I bought an ear thermometer last year. It's accurate, a little on the expensive side... but at least I don't have to wrestle small children anymore to get their temperatures :)
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I've always taken it under the arm. Just remember to add 1 degree for accuracy.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 1, 2010