Why can't some people be respectful??

I have been under alot of stress recently. My Mom is in ICU because of her diabetes, My Dad has prostate cancer. I had to drive 2 hours to the Hospital last night to see my mom & 2 hours back. I had a crappy New Years... But, Last night.... My neighbor knew we didn't have a babysitter, but still insisted on asking me if I wanted some Alcohol. He ALWAYS asks me everything they drink, I've told him over & over. They have no children, but why ask someone who has no babysitter for their Child & I quit drinking 2 years ago. Shewwwww!

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 9:25 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My neighbors always ask us if we want to drink when we are with them. I think that it is out of respect. Did you quit drinking b/c you are a recovering alcoholic or do you not drink b/c you have kids? It just could have been out of kindness that he asked you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:29 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• No, I'm not a recovering alcoholic. I quit before I was pregnant & after I had our Daughter. I have NO help other than my Husband. My family is too sick for the most part to keep our Daughter. No, he wasn't doing it out of kindness he does it to annoy me because I don't drink. He thinks its funny and tries to push it on me. This time he was polite about it, but it's my choice. So why nag me about it.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 9:33 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• maybe he was just trying to be nice? maybe he thought you could use one?
    I wouldn't really worry about it- just say no thanks ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Thats the thing, I stopped to become a better person. Because, I use to party alot before our daughter & I don't want to be tempted to go down that same road again. Last night he just asked, but before he has went on about it for 15-20mintues. I guess I'm just stressed!
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 9:48 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• We get that from my husband's family.They just can't get it thru their thick skulls that we're non-drinkers! In their eyes were freaky for our choice.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Not to be rude but I am little confused you don't think you can have one drink because you have kids and no sitter? If so that isn't a problem one drink isn't going to affect your ability to take care of your kids getting drunk will but one drink is fine. Maybe this is your neighbors point and he isn't good at making it. IF you just do not drink because it is a personal choice tell him 'Look I made a decision not to drink because I did some stupid things in my past where drinking was involved, you don't have to agree or understand but please respect my choice as I respect your choice to drink." That is just my thought. I don't think he is trying to be hurtful he is just clueless.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:24 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• he was just being nice and it was new years. if you dont like him asking you if you want a drink then tell him "no thanks, i dont drink anymore"
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 10:46 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• These days when you are a non drinker specially at a big event you become the odd ball, and a lot of people do drink plainly out of pressure to join the festivities. No need to be upset at the neighbors I am sure he meant no harm, just keep affirming him, you don't drink!

Answer by older at 10:52 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• No, I wasn't saying 1 would impair my judgment. It's my personal choice that I don't drink, I don't want to drink. I have no desire to drink, which I've told my neighbor. But, it just goes through one ear & out the other. We've even had a big conversation about why I don't drink, but he still insists. And, he continues to press the subject at times. Yes, it was New Year's but I had other things on my mind than drinking a beer. I guess some people enjoy drinking, but I have wayyy too much responsibility now days to worry about it.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 11:04 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Did you ever tell him you don't drink at all? Or do you just always was no when he asks? Like have you ever explained the situation to him? Not everyone can equate not drinking during a party at a neighbor's house with not drinking at all....my neighbor doesn't understand that we don't drink at all....she assumed is meant just not on the weekends.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2010