Asthma question? what would you have done?

I made a post a few days ago similar to this, that night my 13 month old son was hospitalized due to his o level and to be watched. The day they admitted him we came home, he slept for 4 hours, woke up and started his coughing attacks. He broke out into a sweat, his cheeks became bright red, he became limp and lethargic wouldnt drink anything, and would fall asleep in between coughing (which would be for a few seconds at a time) At one point he tried to go play in his ball pit but after half way there he crawled back into my lap. I called the ER and they said to give him cough medicine. His pulmonary nurse said he should be hospitalized when he gets like that but its 90% of the time he is like that. I took him to the pediatrcian yesterday and his oxygen level is at 92% and he had a REALLY good day yesterday. I am clueless of what to do. I have takin him to specialist and they dont seem to have anything to say. Any ideas?

Mommyof2n0308

Asked by Mommyof2n0308 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• do you have a nebulizer you use at home?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Find another specialist and another and another until THEY LISTEN TO YOU. Children DIE from Asthma and do not take that chance!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:13 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• yes we have a nebulizer. i have appts with 2 more specialists. its just nothing helps him when we are home so i dont know what to do in that situation anymore?
    Mommyof2n0308

Answer by Mommyof2n0308 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Has he been tested for allergies including food? Something is causing it. I would take him to the ER everytime it happens.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Well I would follow up with other specialists so they can get it under control with his medications.
    And then I would try to figure out all of his triggers.... cold induced? Or I suspect if he's like that 90% of the time then there is something in his enviroment making him sick. Does anyone smoke in your home or even outside? Do you have pets? Molds? Dust? Any chance you might have cockroaches? All are high triggers for asthma.
    I would remove the carpets from your home if you can, get rid of stuffed animals in his bedroom. And vacume and dust daily. If anyone smokes at all they need to quit... not an option. And pets need to find a new home.
    And then he needs an asthma action plan and a good medication plan... and following it to the T is important.
    Good luck!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Yeah no one smokes. He has been tested for all allergies that surround him, dog hair cat hair soy beans from the feild, cotton, ect ect. no cock roaches and when I got pregnant we had a case of mold come up, but we had people come get rid of it all. My daughter is fine. my nephew who is 5 months old and stayed here for awhile is ok. however, they have done numerous chest xrays, and they keep coming back with infiltrates in his lungs. I just hate not knowing what is going to happen from cough to cough. Im worried about the asthma, but I want answers. Does the infiltrates in his lungs cause the asthma? Are the sweats normal for a toddlers asthma attacks? Is it normal to fall asleep whil having an attack? I get short ended answers everytime no matter how firm or confident I am. Hopefully the next few specialist will answer questions.
    Mommyof2n0308

Answer by Mommyof2n0308 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Has he been tested fro CF? Cystic Fibrosis? Have they ruled out viral infection? Not trying to worry you. This is probably caused by something simple and will go away completely once it is discovered.

Mold, chlorine, cleaning products, your ventilation system, and food are the most common allergens. Some families have several very healthy and tolerant children then POOF one has a severe allergy.

Blessings of health to your family.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Listen to IhartU!!! Asthma is nothing to play around with . Take him to doctors until one of them listens to you! DEMAND to be heard!!!!!! I will be praying for your boy. I know how hard it is. My 8 month old was diagnosed with asthma not even 2 weeks ago....
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 12:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• AmiJanell seems to have your answer mamma. And for your boy to be like that so often then SOME dr needs to sit down and figure things out. Dont let the drs just send you home. Aww good luck.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Has your child had a lung biopsy to determine what the "infiltrates" consist of? This information could be very important if the condition is chronic (infiltrates can be fluid, cells, or inflammatory exudates). Also, there is a chance that your child doesn't even have simple asthma, and instead may be showing symptoms of having something else entirely (like interstitial lung disease) or have other factors that are not being considered, such as silent reflux w/aspiration. Definately keep pushing the issue until you get an answer! Good luck!
    Anonymous