pregnant with IUD???

I have the paraguard IUD and just had my first period since having a baby. i had my period in the beginning of december. a couple of days ago i started spotting and im not sure if its just because my periods are all messed up because of the hormones or what, but im just nervous about being pregnant.....have any of you gotten pregnant on paraguard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i dont want to scare you, but YES..i got paraguard in place in July of 2008. I BF for a little over a year with no periods. I had one period then nothing. I took 3 preg. tests all came back neg. But when 2months went by with no period i took another test that came back positive. I had the paraguard removed last august and im now 23 weeks preg. In your case though i think it may just be your periods getting regulated. I would call your OB or care provider just to be safe.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• also to let you know there is supposedly a less than one percent chance of becomming preg with an IUD in.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I've had my IUD for 2 years and have only had 2 periods. My doctor told me that a small percent of very lucky women don't have anymore periods with the IUD. If you are worried take some tests or make an appointment with your doc. I had a scare about 3 months ago. It was just like my last pregnancy w/ the horrible morning sickness and constant runny nose, lol.
    again, if you are worried call your doc! good luck
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 11:27 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My sister. Tubal, went to the hospital and thank gawd she made it out of surgery. The IUD was still in place next thing you know, shes pregnant and noooo IUD. My nephew is 3 yrs old healthy today. Then again if she puts her clothes in the same corner as a male she is pregnant. Her first was a condom baby, second well it was new years :) third was the pill and cainin was her IUD.....
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• colorsofgrey that is the Mirena IUD that gets rid of your periods for some women and it has hormones in it. The Paraguard does not have hormones and can actually make your period heavier as it has with mine. I would not be worried about the no period thing quite yet. Your body is still trying to get itself back to normal. Are you nursing? If you are that can make things wacky too. Once you hit about 30 days since the beginning of your last period then I would take a test and see what it says. If negative then wait a few days and take another if no period. My cycles are now about 34 days long and I have had up to a 47 day cycle since getting my period back.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Well, no method is 100%, and I have a cousin who did get pregnant with an IUD (I'm not sure which she had). IUDs are more effective than a tubal ligation, and are the most used form of birth control among health care providers, so it's still your best BC option. There are no hormones in Paragard, but there are in Mirena. Paragard can make your periods heavier, and can increase your cramps. How long ago did you get the Paragard? It takes time for your body to adjust to something new like that, and it can screw up your periods. If you're truly concerned, take a test, just to rule it out, but it's probably just your body getting adjusted.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• reply to musicpisces: i got the IUD in march 2009 and had my baby january 2009 and i am still nursing, so that is what im thinking may be the reason.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i had my IUD placed on june of 2008 and i started spotting one day and i knew something was wrong with my body so i took a pregnancy test and it came back positive. I still kept spotting and had my iud removed but at 7 weeks pregnant i lost my baby. you might wanna got to the dr just to make sure. good luck
    IsabellesMom23

Answer by IsabellesMom23 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2010