How to blend Parenting Styles

I have a 7 week old and his father and I just are way to different. I believe in rocking him to sleep, soothing him when hes fussy and trying to always be calm and soothing toward the baby.

The dad is a little rougher around the edges with the baby. He tells the baby he doesnt like him and to "shut up" and if the baby does not calm down after a few min. of rocking he puts him in the crib and and shuts the door.

The baby doesnt enjoy sleeping and does require lots of attention. We had been taking shifts to take care of him but now I dont trust him with the baby. I'm just not sure if his temper would ever go further than that ... I dont think so but thats my child...

Any ideas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow...this doesn't sound to me like a simple difference in parenting style...this sounds like someone who just doesn't have the patience to be a parent. The baby is 7 weeks old...if he doesn't have the patience to deal with him now, it's only going to get rougher as the child gets older. My best advice to you would be to sit him down and explain to him that the baby is completely helpless, and completely unable to control himself, express himself, or in any way take care of himself. It is up to you and dad to take care of him and figure out what he wants/needs. Remind him that crying is the baby's way (the ONLY way) of expressing that there is something wrong or something he needs, and that telling him to shut up or putting him down and walking away resolves nothing and only leaves the baby in the same situation, needing something and not getting it. If he still doesn't get it..sorry, but I wouldn't trust him around the baby.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I agree w/ the previous poster. I believe in soothing a baby EVERY time. We tried the cry it out method with our 2nd son & ended up finding out he had acid reflux, I felt horrible for not comforting him like I should have. We have always responded to our 7 mo. old and he is a much happier baby, out of my 3 he is the happiest. I'm sorry but if my husband said something like that or if I knew he would just leave our son to cry, I wouldn't leave him alone w/ him. No parent should ever tell their child that they don't like them, no matter what age and if they understand or not. You're parenting the right way.
    TruckersWife426

Answer by TruckersWife426 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• What new born is not born confused when to sleep. They do not sleep on our schedule they sleep when they are tired. I a man every told may child new born or not that he didn't like him he would have to pray that I din't pop him upside his big head. I would let him go to the next doctor appointment with me so he could hear the doctor explain why he may be fussy and after that I would have to have a sit down with him. This will get worst when the baby is crawling and gets into things. This is a baby he wants the baby to come out already knowing what to do and when to do it (are you serious). If someone told me to shut up or that they didn't like me do you think I would calm down?!?!? All new borns require alot of attention and cries when you sleep. That is LIFE. Do you wnat me to pop him for you or what b/c clearly he is not being realistic at all. What fantasy did he just wake up from. I would make it clear to him.
    Peacefully

Answer by Peacefully at 3:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Yeah, this isn't a difference in parenting styles. I'm sorry you're going through this. Even most moms who agree with cio will tell you they wouldn't tell their 7 week old to shut up and leave them in the crib. If you can't have patience with a 7 week old baby... I'd be concerned about down the road. Very concerned.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2010