Someone calling you Sweety?

If another woman in your age bracket constantly called you sweety or hon would you be offended?

Asked by rescuegurl1230 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Relationships

• It does not bother me, I guess it would depend on if she knew my name or not. I usually say sweet heart, to get a little childs attention, rather than "hey you".

Answer by NEsmommy at 2:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• It is a southern thing, and I have to admit that I do it all the time, especially when I used to waitress. I think that it makes the situation more personal, and you feel more welcome and at home. I know some ppl don't understand it, but we don't mean anything bad at all when we say it.

Answer by lynenedubbels at 2:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I would much, much, much rather have someone call me sweety or hon instead of ma'am!

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• It's not just a southern thing, it happens to me a lot in PA as well. I actually used to do it all the time when I was a bartender. It gets annoying, though. I hate when I'm at the bank and the teller, who can look at my checks to see my name, calls me hon.

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I don't think it's offensive... I think it's annoying.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• doesn't really bother me-but if the tone or u personally knew it was done to be condescending-then yes i can see how it could be annoying.

Answer by maofemmjacgav at 3:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• OHHHHH that bothers me so much! My younger sister does that, I'll be 25 in Dec, she'll be 21 in Nov, all she ever does is try to call me sweety! Arrrrgggg, I do tell her, enoughs enough. If she can't call me anything else, don't bother talking to me.

Answer by emly40 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• No Not at all. I live in the South though, so it is quite common, as is "Baby", if you must know.

Answer by pinksafyre at 4:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Nope cause I call everyone Hon, sweetie, or babe. depending on who I am talking to, I may even squeeze out a Darlin, but then there too, all this is a southern/ cali thing.

Answer by MissLady620 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• No, I call people hun all the time!

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2008