If the sin is the choice to "act" on homosexual desires...

then it stands to reason that the initial homosexual feelings that one would want to act on, are born in them. Many people say it's not having gay feelings that are the sin...its ACTING on them.
So, people are in fact BORN gay....but when they act upon that which they are naturally inclined to be, it is a sin.
One cannot say that being gay is a sin then. It's simply the acting on those feelings, is that right?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• sahmamax2

So, God made people gay.

Yep, and any god that would deliberately create someone and send them forth in theory unable (not "allowed") to find a loving relationship for their god-created, natural tendencies is not one worthy of the worship he is written to need. This isn't why I do not believe in the construct of a god, but it sure helps me continue to dislike the followers.

I think the same can be said for autism, too. No, we generally are not labeled sinners for being born different. But many of us often find it difficult to connect and find love/friendships/relationships because of the way we are "created" and the way we process things. Normal people often find this too much to deal with, and are not interested in having to work do things against the herd instinct neurotypical people have, just to help sustain a single relationship. With awareness up, that is changing, but for some; too little, too late.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• hahahaha..girl! starting off the year with a bang, eh?
    (i can't wait to see how this plays out...as i'm withholding my two-cents for now. )
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I feel like yes acting on those feelings is a sin. Getting angry and physical with someone is also a sin. Yet studies have shown over and over again and aggressiveness is something people are born with. Same with alcoholism. You can't use the excuse "alcoholism is in their genetics" to support someone who is an alcoholic

Anonymous

• I think we all have our own temptations. And it is not a sin to be tempted. But we can be led into sin, when we let our minds fantacize and entertain acting on the temptations. I think this verse answers that question.

"But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death." James 1:14-15. The New Living Translation says it this way, "Temptation comes from the lure of our own evil desires. These evil desires lead to evil actions, and evil actions lead to death."

Now this verse is talking about ALL types of sin. Our sins come from our own desires inside of us, and when we are enticed or when we flirt with them, it will lead us to sin. We ALL have desires that can lead us into sin.

cont.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• "Getting angry and physical with someone is also a sin. Yet studies have shown over and over again and aggressiveness is something people are born with. Same with alcoholism. You can't use the excuse "alcoholism is in their genetics" to support someone who is an alcoholic"

How does being gay hurt someone else? It doesn't. But I digress....essentially though, someone is born gay. So the simple fact that they are born that way, does not make it a sin. Acting on it does?
    So, God made people gay.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

I agree with this we are all born with certain emotions and feelings all which are not in God's will. We are given choices to either act on them or go before the Lord and ask Him to take them away. I know myself there have been times when inappropriate or wrong thoughts have crossed my mind, I take it to the cross and lay down there.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 12:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• " I know myself there have been times when inappropriate or wrong thoughts have crossed my mind, I take it to the cross and lay down there.
    "

Have you ever asked to NOT be straight?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• This means that yes, you can have homosexual desires and it is not a sin, as long as you allow the Holy Spirit to work in your life and surrender your desires to God. Here is a great article that might explain it.

The point is, we ALL have desires that can lead us into sin, if we choose to serve them. I am someone who loved someone who was not good for me spiritually. It was a guy. But it is the same situation. I came to a point in my life when I had to choose to love this guy and live in a sinful relationship, or give it up. I chose to give him up and I don't regret it. That is my choice.

Anyways, I do have friends who struggle with homosexual desires but they really love God more and they would rather struggle against those desires and be close to God.

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Okay, one of my friends who has same sex desires told me. "I am a single guy. I struggle with lust just like any other single guy. It may be directed differently, but all single guys need to learn to control their lust."

okay. I am going to go make breakfast for my family. I will check back later today : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• "Anyways, I do have friends who struggle with homosexual desires but they really love God more and they would rather struggle against those desires and be close to God.
    "

THat must be a miserable existance. Being gay does not harm others, or the couple themselves if they are both in a healthy relationship. Not an abusive one in any way. So I don't see the correlation between a relationship that was "bad" in some way, or an alchoholic. Those are both examples of something that can be detrimental to one's health/mental state.
    Simply being gay does neither of those things.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2010