Can i give my 9 mth old milk?

My 9 mth old son got a hold of his big brothers bottle this morning and drank some of his milk. now i know that amount he drank isn't going to make him sick... but can i give him milk at all? in a sippy cup? Or do i wait until hes after a year old? You'd think id remember after have 4 kids.. haha

sexy_can_i

Asked by sexy_can_i at 12:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to your doctor. It is recommended to wait until your baby is a year old before giving regular milk. The reason is because of the proteins in cows milk can be irritating to the intestines (possibly leading to a milk allergy). Also, cows milk has very little iron in it so there is a risk of developing iron deficient anemia.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 5:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Yes, you can give him milk. My son was 9 months old when I took him off the bottle, and that's when he started drinking milk. I was not going to put formula in a cup.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Every Pediatrician says NO Milk until a year old. Their bodies aren't really able to digest it properly until then. I wouldn't give them milk until they're a year old. Consistantly drinking of milk may cause an allergy in your child, or have other adverse reactions. I'd wait.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• So i don't have to wait until he is one to take him off formula? Should i talk to his doctor first about it? Or how do i know hes ready to be taken off it. OR are you saying once hes off the bottle take the formula? a lot of questions lol sorry. geez outta all 4 of my kids youd think i know some of this.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 12:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• oh okay thanks jazzlike
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 12:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• JazzlikeMraz
    Every Pediatrician says NO Milk until a year old. Their bodies aren't really able to digest it properly until then. I wouldn't give them milk until they're a year old. Consistantly drinking of milk may cause an allergy in your child, or have other adverse reactions. I'd wait.

What did the doctors say before man invented formula? My own son was put on milk at 9 months by his doctor. He was off the bottle and his doctor said I did not have to keep him on the formula. OP, just talk to your doctor, milk is not the devil, I promise.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Alright thanks ladies, i appreciate the advice :)
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 1:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Before formula and doctors babies drank breastmilk until self-weaning.

That said if the formula is cow milk based there shouldn't be too much of a problem but do keep a keen eye for signs of trouble particularly with poop.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Dairy is a common allergen, so be aware.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Babies don't have enzymes to digest cows milk. Give him a few more months for his system to develop better. For the poster who asked what babies did before formula, MANY of them died.
    Anonymous