Should I still mix formula with my breastmilk?

I started off bf, but my baby was premie and had high billirubin levels, so dr suggested only formula. Since then, she won't take breastmilk by itself, so we mixed. Now between feeding her and pumping and trying to sleep, there is no time for anything else, so I stopped pumping. Since then, she only poops once a day, sometimes not at all for a day, and farts lots. Could this be because I stopped giving her breastmilk?

princesslindsay

Asked by princesslindsay at 12:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Formula is harder to digest than breastmilk. That is probably why she isn't pooping as much. As long as she is comfortable I wouldn't worry about it. Normally the gas would come from swallowing air, but obviously she's been bottle fed all along.You may want to talk to her doctor about a different formula if she is miserable, but if she's working the gas out just fine I wouldn't worry about it. Of course if you're uncomfortable about it, talk to the doctor. If she doesn't start pooping regularly soon, I would most definitely talk to the doctor because extreme constipation can be deadly and is one of my biggest fears. Keep a close eye on her.

TruckersWife426

Answer by TruckersWife426 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• When I was exclusively feeding my baby breast milk she would poop several times a day. When I went back to work we started giving her some formula during the day plus breast milk. Now she only poops once a day and has gas which is normal.
    lala9

Answer by lala9 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I don't know why some doctors are still making bf mothers supplement with formula for high bilirubin. What is needed is simply breadtmilk which is a mild laxative hich is what is needed and 15 minutes of sunlight a day. Formula is constipating, It makes no sense to substitute one perfect milk for artificial. Bf is proven the best for premie health. i would either put baby back to breast or exclusively pump. join a breastfeeding moms group and go to   http://www.drjacknewman.com/  and   http://www.kellymom.com/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• And check this out about breastmilk and premies: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• i dont understand why a doctor would suggest giving a baby formula if he/she was a premie and having problems when breast milk would be best. I donate breast milk to babies who are premies. (through a milk bank of course)
    Anonymous

• WTF kind of doctor suggests formula to eliminate bilirubin levels!? GET A NEW DOC!
    Anonymous

• When my infant's bilirubin levels were high, they told me to nurse more often not substitute with formula. Yes, formula is much more constipating than breastmilk. I would try to go back to pumping and mixing and hopefully you can get her drinking more bmilk/less formula in the mix and then go back to breastfeeding exclusively.

Answer by missanc at 3:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• You might want to consider finding a new doctor. Preemie babies need breast milk even more so I am surprised that formula was encouraged when you were already planning to breast feed. My DS had high levels and was too sleepy to nurse so my midwife had me pump and feed him with a syringe to make sure he was getting more. If you are not producing enough, the doc can give you a Rx for the milk bank but formula is the last thing a preemie needs. I am with the Anonymous answer - time to go Dr shopping but definitely work towards getting back to 100% breast milk.

fluby1171

Answer by fluby1171 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• my doc told me the same thing with my newest (she was jaundiced)...I ignored him and breastfed anyway. It was absurd for him to suggest it to me knowing that I am adamant about breastfeeding. What he said made sense...breastmilk is very easy to digest and doesn't give the liver a real workout whereas formula needs to be more thoroughly filtered so the liver gets more use...in other words, formula gives the liver a better "workout" and might "jumpstart" it, thus making it filter out bilirubin better.

...but to ever suggest that a mother completely STOP breastfeeding is ridiculous. My former OB/GYN told me to breastfeed more often than I usually do in order to "jumpstart" my two year old's liver when she was a few weeks old. I took her advice and it worked. I ignored my current doc's advice and just breastfed MORE than usual. When we went back to have her tested and her levels were fine, I let him believe that he was right.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 4:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• BTW...breastmilk will also make a baby go days without pooping bc it is more thoroughly digested.

Your baby sounds constipated, though. going from breastmilk to formula will do that.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 4:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2010