Follow up on Karma question...

Thanks for all the answers so far...

Another question,

If you had knowledge that someone was doing something illegal that could destroy innocent people's lives what would you do?

The chance of something happening are slim, however the effects would be huge. If I turn this person in the immediate effects would be huge, several lives will be changed.

Sorry, it's such an emotional dilemna, I really care for this person. But, they see nothing wrong with what they are doing, the only way they will stop is if they are caught. If I didn't care for this person I would've turned them in a long time ago.

If I do nothing people will be hurt, if I do something people will be hurt. How do you measure which is the greater good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I know a few secrets that could have detrimental results on the person if I were to tell. So, I keep to myself. If this person is your dh or lives with you and it is endangering your children, then you should tell, but otherwise I would say mind your own business. It also depends on what it is that you know.
    Anonymous

• You kinda answered your own question here, if you doing nothing causes hurt and you doing something (assuming the right thing) causes hurt then do the right thing.

I guess my question is, can you live with yourself with whatever you do? Also, if this were your family that could be hurt as the result would you still act or want someone else to act?

Some things require a moral response, some require a community response where you really are wrong for sitting back and not acting; for example, a friend has a meth lab that eventually blows up a neighborhood or a friend is sleeping with an under aged child - you become an accomplice to the problem if you do nothing.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 1:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• As 1st LadyD said, the thing is....can you live with whatever you do? I make all my decisions based on that question. If I can't live with myself after, I don't do it.

You have to decide if you're going to put others' health, safety and wellbeing above the friendship and love you have for the one who is doing this.

Is it illegal?

Will it physically hurt others?

Which decision is going to cause the least amount of harm?

Those are the questions you must answer.

madhousequeen

Answer by madhousequeen at 2:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• i'm sorry but this is to vague for me to make a judgement call but i will say that from your post, it does sound like you know what you want to do and you are just waiting for someone to agree with you. follow your instincts. that's why they are there.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 4:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2010