what do you do when your does this or has done this?

Well my 4 year old son sure developed quite the attitude. If I tell him to do something when hes in time out... he wont do it...or if i ask him something he wont answer. So since hes 4, i set him time out for 4 mins. Well when his 4 mins are up i'll tell him to get up and do this, or time to eat or whatever and he'll just sit there and ignore me and not get up. Or if i tell him to sit down in time out and he doesn't what do i do? Do i nicely make him, leave him sitting there? I dunno, i'm kinda lost with him right now. Any help would be pretty appreciated. Thanks in advance

sexy_can_i

Asked by sexy_can_i at 1:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stepladder your son's behavior verbally in advance and at time of punishment. If he's done bad and needs punishment to whatever degree originally, tell him improper behavior after time out for it will result in loss of more toys, a tv show, a dessert, a playdate, a video game, a movie - whtaever etc. Keep up the stepladder punishment and be firm but don't scream in frustration cause that feeds kids (and husbands misbehavior) too!!!!!

Since I started and keep up stepladder with my teen her behavior has gotten and stays tons better
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Put his toys up. He is old enough to understand that bad behavior is not acceptable. When he shows he can behave he can have his toys back.But make sure it is his favorite toys.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• People normally say that children have trouble twos. But my kids wer angels at that age. But when these minature adults turned three and four they wanted that last word or pushed my buttons a little more then usual. You have to figure out what works for you and if something doesn't work try something else. Hold your ground and remember that he is just trying to see how far he can go with you. So, if you never set limits he will feel that he has won and you will be going in circles with him. When me kids do something that I don't approve I think of ways to break those behaviors fast before they become habits. Toys being taken, bed, a boring time out (kids are now having fun during time out) What ever that can get his attention. Just think there is something. Good luck. What better way and time to start then the first day of a new year....!
    Peacefully

Answer by Peacefully at 2:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• With my four year old I take oway treats and movie time, sometimes I will tell him to pick up his toys and he tells me no and I keep sending him back to his room, he only comes out to eat and then back to his room, there were times were it took him two days spending in his room untill he finaley caved and did what I said, don't ever give up, if you said your going to do something then do it, kids catch on really quick and they figure out our weaknesses, I have a hard time spanking my kid but there are times that I do have to swat his butt to get the point across and still that don't always help (and I know most moms don't agree, but whatever every kid is diferent and my four year old is stuburn X 10 and that's putting it mildley). I used to tell my son I will do this or take oway that and never acted on it so he walked all over me, but all that changed and he listens to me more then my hubby cuz he does the empty promise thing
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Simply (and I mean in 4 year old words) tell him that he may get out of time out (or what ever the case may be) when this/that is done or he appologizes (so on). He is old enough to know what choice he needs to make. My 3 year old is expected to make the right choice when given the option and she does it well. If you tell him to go to time out and he doesn't then put him there (repeatedly if necessary-use the Supernanny technique). He needs to know what you expect of him and that you mean what you say. He will begin to think he is in control if you let things keep going on like they are. Good luck mommy...I hope I don't sound like I'm bashing, I'm not trying to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2010