Medical Billing and Coding Course?

hi Ladies
has anyone taken the medical billing and coding course ( at home or at a school?) and now work in the feild what is your imput on the position and the course you studied, do you like your position now might i ask what/ where, do you work from home or at an office?
any advice or input?
thanks in advance

mirit.rose

Asked by mirit.rose at 2:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have a degree in HCA/MR and have my certifications to do medical billing. It “seemed” like an easy enough career to walk into. THIS HAS NOT BEEN THE CASE! Any positions that are open to coders, require many years of experience before you can even be considered, let alone get to work at home. Lesser positions where your working in a medical facility lets say at the front desk and also doing the coding, (at least in my area) require you to be bilingual(unfortunately I’m not). Again these employees want so many years experience working in the health care industry not just any job... I have experience in other fields, and many years of volunteer work under my belt, non of which helped when applying……
    Anonymous

• CONTINUED
    So my education has been no help in this field and I’m left with a substantial amount of debt. I’m now back in school and chose a new career path. After giving it some major thought, I really don’t want to work in the medical billing field, codes change or are altered yearly, new ones are added. Have one bad day or make a mistake and your job is on the line, not to mention you have a very upset customer who is now getting a bill for health care that should have been covered.
    Good luck if you chose this path! Honestly the schooling is very easy. You just need to a good memory because you are required to know a great deal of medical terminology and of course all those codes, different insurance carriers information, what codes they you ect…..
    Anonymous

• thank you!
    any other input? anyone?
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2010