Vatican Says Belief in Extraterrestrial Life OK - Thoughts?

VATICAN CITY (Nov. 10) - E.T. phone Rome. Four hundred years after it locked up Galileo for challenging the view that the Earth was the center of the universe, the Vatican has called in experts to study the possibility of extraterrestrial alien life and its implication for the Catholic Church.

Funes said the possibility of alien life raises "many philosophical and theological implications" but added that the gathering was mainly focused on the scientific perspective and how different disciplines can be used to explore the issue.

The Church of Rome's views have shifted radically through the centuries since Italian philosopher Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake as a heretic in 1600 for speculating, among other ideas, that other worlds could be inhabited.

In 1992, Pope John Paul II declared the ruling against the astronomer was an error resulting from "tragic mutual incomprehension."

http://bit.ly/3z9PtR

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• interesting, I am going to have to look more into this. In reality, I don't care too much about this topic.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• OP: Sorry ran out of room - What do you feel personally the implications of discovering intelligent alien life would be to your beliefs?

Anonymous

• Sorry - I hate that the link won't work in the OP!

http://bit.ly/3z9PtR

Anonymous

• Honestly, I think it is selfish to believe that we are the only planet with life on it out of all of the MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of planets throughout the universe. If you ask me, there has to be life out there somewhere.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 2:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I'm not religious, but IMO science and religion have a hard time mixing. This is a big step for the Vatican, I see it as a good sign. That logic and religion can co-exsist.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• cool!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I think we were colonized by Andromedans. I totally believe in aliens. I don't believe our civilization is the brightest too. I think Atlanteans were more bright and way advanced than we are today. I think the pyramids are a map and not built by some pully to haul those stones up to the top. Please. Very fun!
    Anonymous

• I see it as a bad sign.... If God created other life it would be mentioned but He only made mankind the likeness of Himself. We are made in the image of God. It would not be selfish to think that we are the only living beings on this earth in this Universe.

Just my beliefs according to His Word.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Yes and I agree with the Vatican. Basically they are saying this is Gods world and he created it the way he chose and we don't and can't understand all the possibilities.  I personally have no idea if aliens are out in the universe somewhere, anything is possible andI don't give it much thought.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Interesting. I haven't given anything like that much thought either. Anything is possible.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2010