Why is my 17 month old becoming so cranky??

lately my son has been throwing tantrum after tantrum...i try sitting and playing with him but after a few mins he will start hitting or kicking or shoving at me. I will tell him no very sternly but that makes him yell at me and then hit me. when he hits i grab his hand and hold it still saying no hitting...and/or hitting hurts dont hit. he will even end up biting his hand. I put him in his crib for a time out but he will then fall asleep. he has been having about all together 4 hours of naps a day since all the time he ends up falling asleep in time out....any ideas on what is up with him?? This behavior has only recently changed since about a week before christmas

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At that age my son needed to take 2 naps still or he would be really fussy. What i would do is when he starts acting cranky, mean, or fussy I would put him down for a nap. I wouldn't wait for him to get really bad. That way you are preventing the behavior (hopefully) :) Oh and kids go through so many different phases. It is crazy how much they change in their actions from day to day. I wouldn't worry about it just handle it the best that you can.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2010