I think my ferret may be sick

So my ferret has been eating so much lately. Normally it would take hime 3-4 days to eat a bowl of his food. The last few weeks he's been eating it all in a day or 2. I thought maybe it's because we've had a record cold winter so far with lots of snow. He is an indoor ferret but it still a little cool in our house. Also his hair is ORANGE. We bathe him as much as recomended but it doesn't get rid of the orange color. His bedding is changed frequently and is a type I've used before without any problems and he hasn't changed foods. Anyone have suggestions?

ainstalshia

Asked by ainstalshia at 2:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Pets

• i would def take him in to the vet.

could it be that he possibly got into something in the house?

My brothers and sisters had ferret, and they're health can be picky, meaning they need to be seen for any abnormalities.

good luck!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Maybe he is hiding his food? Sometimes they do that if they have an excess amount of food.

During the breeding season, unneutered males (and sometimes females) increase production of sebum. This sebum may turn the skin yellowish or orange as the oils discolor the undercoat. Orange or reddish-brown patches or scaling on a neutered ferret is also usually due to dried sebaceous secretions, and can be removed easily with bathing. However, if these discolorations return quickly (within a week or two), you might want to further investigate why your neutered ferret is overproducing sebum. One common cause is the presence of an adrenal tumor. Adrenal tumors often cause a hormonal change that can result in sebum overproduction.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 2:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Start feeding a raw diet. This helps immensely with the color, also with the smell and amount of poos.

He is very likely hiding his food. If you don't want to go raw, a high quality diet like EVO is way better than regular ferrte food. Too many fillers, and ferrets cannot digest it all due to them having no cecum. The less fillers the better, and this is why raw/whole prey diet is best. EVO is a nice second. (Most people mix brands, ferrets can and will get picky and go on food strike if they dont like a new food)
    VolpeFemmina

Answer by VolpeFemmina at 10:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No he is not hiding his food. He sleeps most of the day like most ferrets and when he gets out of his cage for a few hours he never takes his food. I'm a clean freak so I know all his hiding places he doesn't hide food just odd things like paper or sweets. And he hates natural food I've tried all kinds of natural meat and he doesn't even touch it. He hates all food (even chocolate and raisins for treats) unless it's his store bought ferret food.
    I was afraid it was an adrenal tumor or some disease affecting his adrenal gland. But it's only his hair not his skin that is orange. I guess I'll have to take him but we are so broke now.
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 12:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2010