Calling all Pagans

I am a Christian--Please don't attack!--and I was just wondering (because I am very curious about all faiths) how you draw closer to your dieties.

Again, I am just curious. This is not a question for bashing. This is a question to share some of your faith with other curious people.

I have met a few Pagans in my life, but they seem a little skeptical of sharing what it is that they do with Christians (who can blame them with all of the religious intolerance in the world?). So I was hoping some of you ladies would be willing to share.

PhoenixFire

Asked by PhoenixFire at 2:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you get close to your Gods/Goddesses (no matter what religion you are) in the same way you get close to people you want a relationship with - by spending time with them, by not doing all the talking and doing more listening, by making time for them in your life. Some of the ways Pagans do this are meditation, prayer, ritual, singing, chanting, writing, being out in a natural setting, witnessing natural wonders, etc. I also feel closer to Deity when I remember to see the Divine in other people. I believe we all have a Divine "spark' within us that's like a little piece of the God/Goddess. When I can see that "spark" in others (and within myself) it's like seeing the God/Goddess made manifest and makes me feel very close to Him/Her/It.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I chant and meditate daily. During Sabbats and Esbats we hold rituals. I supposed one could say it's our way of going to church, but it's much more. The Sabbats are our holidays (holy days, for lack of a better term). I also make hand made offerings to my Gods throughout the year.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Cool. Thank you. I have always wondered when I see the terms in different polls or questions.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 2:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Yeah, what NightP said.

Plus...

I also honor/worship the Goddess through cooking (I'm a KitchenWitch) and gardening. And I also honor/worship the God through...well...sex! DH is not Pagan, but trust me...he doesn't mind me using his body in this manner! ;-)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• How do you use cooking and gardening? (I am also a writer with the wish to write a book a few years down the road concerning a young Christian woman who has "lost her way" and gets invited to a Pagan festival for a weekend.) I want to make sure that I always have correct information because religion is a sacred thing that should always be represented properly in any piece of writing.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:11 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Mostly meditation, thats how I connect with the Divine.

I also perform small rituals on occasion and thats like a fancy prayer(easiest way to explain it).

I connect/draw closer to the Divine by being good to my fellow men and all that is around me. We are all connected to the universe and knowing this has helped me with that connection.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Meditation, chanting, rituals. My favorite rituals are ones that are outside. I feel a connection no matter where I am but being out doors to do a ritual is wonderful.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Phoenix,

You're a mom, right? (That's why you are here! lol) And unless you adopted or had a surrogate, that child grew inside your body and was nourished, sheltered, and grew within your body. I see the Earth as Mother Goddess and the land as Her body.  And most everything we eat (Twinkies excluded lol) comes from the Land, the Goddess, Mother Earth, Mother Nature.  So the vegetables from my garden are the nutrients the Mother gives to me and my family for our bodies.  And tending the garden is in turn taking care of Her.  (I've often referred to composting as "Gifts to Gaia"). 

con't

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• ...and as for the cooking aspect...

here

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• That is a very interesting way of looking at things. Thank you for your insight and your explination!
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2010