Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if...

you could not work because of your health? You were forced to be a SAHM because you couldn't go ten minutes on your feet, or three hours without feeling like passing out (and half the time doing so). How would you handle the knowledge that you would mostly likely be like this for at least a few years if not your whole life, but you had substancial student loans to pay back while your husband is finishing up his schooling.
Any suggestions. I'm a little tired of being confined to the house, but at the moment it seems to be all that I am good for.


Asked by PhoenixFire at 3:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 18 (5,547 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I would get a letter from your doctor and call the financial institutions in charge of your student loans. They may allow you to defer your loans for a bit until you can get back on your feet financially. It won't hurt to try anyway, the worst they can say is no right? Good luck :)

    Answer by LishaBee at 3:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

  • I would go on disability for financial reasons and so far as being confined to the house...make really good friends with your neighbors and do cookouts...take up a hobby like reading or crafting...go on drives to scenic games on the computer.

    Just enjoy watching your kids grow!

    Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 3:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

  • Well for your sanity, lol. I would look into organizations you can volunteer for from home. Maybe helping them develop websites, answering questions they receive online ect…..
    Financially, I have no clue, if your Dr. tells you that you CAN NOT work maybe you can collect SSI or something similar?! I also agree with LishaBee, talk to the institutions about your student loans maybe they can be suspended until you know what is going to happen with your health. Good Luck 

    Answer by bgcmommy at 3:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

  • Are the student loans yours then? I think they can be forgiven if you are proven disabled. But you have to be disable AFTER college. If it was during, then you still have to repay them.

    Contact the owner of your student loans and see what you can work out. You should probably be able to defer payment for a couple years.


    Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

  • Stop by my blog and bookmark it. There may be something there in the archieves or in future postings that might help.

    Answer by Peodigy at 10:21 AM on Jan. 11, 2010